Author Topic: Essendon marriage, 1825  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Rose_Frankcombe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Essendon marriage, 1825
« on: Thursday 17 June 10 03:51 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,
I'm in search of more information on the marriage of Matthew (Matthias) Gaunt and Frances Green, Essendon, Hertford, 1825. As I live in Australia, it is difficult for me to obtain much information other than via the internet. Cheers... Rose

Offline Chilis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: ESSENDON MARRIAGE, 1825
« Reply #1 on: Friday 18 June 10 19:03 BST (UK) »
Rose
No-one seems to have pointed out to you that you have posted your query on the Her-E-fordshire site instead of the Her-T-fordshire site.

HerTfordshire is a county north of London. whilst HerEfordshire borders Wales.

Moderator comment: topic moved. Please use the Report to Moderator button to help us with problems like this - thanks

Offline Rose_Frankcombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Essendon marriage, 1825
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 June 10 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Chilis,
Thank you for pointing out the misdirection on the site. I'm just finding my way around it and when I later looked I couldn't find where my posts had gone... Hopefully now the Moderator has kindly moved the queries to the right location someone will be able to assist with the information I seek... Thank you... Rose

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 June 10 21:22 BST (UK) »
See the Allen Marriage Index at https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsmain?formid=HALS_INDEXES  . Mathew Gaunt is how it's enumerated. He was described as being resident of London. That merely means that at the time of his marriage he was resident in London, not that he was necessarily born there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 July 10 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Rose,

I found the marriage entry in the Essendon PRs as follows   ...

Mathias GAUNT bachelor of the parish of St.Giles,Cripplegate and Frances GREEN of this parish, spinster, married by licence with consent of parents on 28July1825.  Witnesses Isaac Green, E??? Paxton,  Abraham Green, Elizabeth Hudson and Martha Green.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rose_Frankcombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 July 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Peter. This is a wonderful expansion of information to that which I already have.

Isaac Green of course was Frances' father.

I have not until now encountered a Paxton.

Am guessing that Abraham Green was one of the bride's brothers - but I am certain that Martha Green was her sister, as Martha married William Keeler Hawkes and they (Mr. & Mrs. Hawkes) some time after the Gaunts', also travelled here to Tasmania (previously Van Diemen's Land), to found a school.

Not sure where Elizabeth Hudson fits in the picture. Matthias had a sister, Elizabeth, but her daughter, Matthias' niece, was Hannah Jackson who eventually married Frances' brother Richard Green (the Gaunts', Hannah Jackson and Richard Green all travelled here together, arriving in 1831).

I have, since I joined this site, discovered that Matthias Gaunt came from Denby in Yorkshire, but it has been difficult putting a clear picture together, as I can't find very much on the Net about Denby, nor of the Anglican parish church there, the design of which influenced Matthias when he had a church constructed here similar to that in his home place.  The little church here the good doctor named St Matthias.

I don't wish to appear to greedy in this search for information, but I can see from these responses I have that there's a very keen community of genealogists and researchers out in the wider world - and I do find these searches can become rather addictive!

Having qualified with the above statement, I go on to consider where Dr. Gaunt may have attained his medical training. Although we find he is practicing in London around the time of his wedding and later, do you think it possible he could have been trained in Scotland, considering he was from Denby, or is that just a wild supposition on my part?

Would the church have still been issuing surgeons' licences at that time - say around 1820 - or would the requirements have moved on to a university qualification by then?

Finally, in one reference I have to Dr Gaunt, he is noted as: Dr. Matthias Gaunt, MD RN - so was he at some time a ships' surgeon?

Questions, questions...

I'll simply throw the above into the mix and look forward to any responses that may come as a result... Cheers... Rose

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 July 10 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Rose,

Matthias Gaunt is my Gx2grandfather!  I'd love to make contact with you and compare notes -  he was born in Denby, Yorkshire son of Joseph and had 15 children in all - four of whom died at reasonably young age - (3 in 1854 I think - of what I wonder?).   I think he set out with three, Sidney, Frances and Jane, but another was born soon after arrival, young Mathias.    Richard Green arrived with them I think, settled close by and married Hannah who'd arrived with the Gaunts as nursemaid to the children I believe. 
There are many references to Matthias (and Richard Green) in the Hobart Mercury of the times, and also to various of his children.  He made a bit of noise about town with his Anti-Transportation stance. 

He trained in Edinburgh and was in the RN for a while - didn't practice medicine once in Australia as you probably know.  And yes Frances Green from Essendon was definitely his wife.    Have you read the booklet 'Down Windermere Way'?  I don't know who wrote it but Matthais is mentioned and there is a photo of him there - also a very poor on of his wife - (they think)!  We were there recently and found the graves of several of the family

Someone alerted me to your thread as I have just posted on the Aussie board asking for any descendants to make contact.
Which branch of the family are you from??   

I've managed with much help from Rootschatters to follow the family way back - and I think it is correct - the name repetition would suggest so - they were farmers for ages.  (But no idea where the name Sidney came from! That doesn't appear anywhere in the family I have followed!   :-\ )

cheers,

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Rose_Frankcombe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 July 10 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, again, Wiggy,
This is one of those aaaaahhhhh moments, when I find people kindly offer me those tiny snippets of information that add another piece to the jigsaw... I wondered if Matthias trained in Scotland, and now you confirm this. Thank you...

And there's a booklet, Down Windermere Way... I wonder where I'd get a copy of it? I'll have to seek that one out...

Rootschatters have been invaluable in this quest, opening the information doors as they have so generously...

Thank you for responding to my request... Rose

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 July 10 04:29 BST (UK) »
Can't remember where we got our copy of 'Down Windermere Way' - some distant rellie I think - it is that type of book - not hard backed and about A5 size stapled together.  I can let you have a copy if you can't find one elsewhere.

Do tell more - if you haven't already on the Aussie page - will have to go there and look!

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.