Author Topic: JustKia's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 16756 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
JustKia's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 29 June 10 09:58 BST (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt.  I think you'll have fun hunting this guy down.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

I am trying to find the birth/baptism or parents of Samuel WIMBUSH b c.1800.
Indeed, anything on Samuel prior to 1838. I have all I need going forwards.

His timeline is as follows:
1838 birth of son – William – Q3 Salford; bp 08 Jun 1838; d Q2 1840.
1841 census – HO107-573-B3-F37-P27; Black Lion Court, Manchester; Butcher
1841 birth of daughter – Mary – birth not reg; b 3 Jun 1841; bp 17 Jun 1841.
1843 birth of daughter – Betsy – birth not reg; bp 13 Sep 1843; d Q4 1843.
1844 birth of son – Samuel – Q2 Manchester.
1848 birth of daughter – Betty – Q3 Manchester; b 19 Sep 1848; bp 1 Oct 1848.
1851 census –HO107-2229-F176-P31; Long Millgate, Manchester.
1859 died – Q4 Manchester.

In 1841 Samuel gives his age as 40 – the enumerator hasn’t rounded ages of adults.
There is a son, Martin, but he is the illegitimate son of Samuel’s wife, Betty. There is a thread about Martin here - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,448819.0.html
In 1851 Samuel gives his age as 51 (this had been transcribed as 57 but is definitely 51) and his place of birth as Staffs, Wolverhampton.
He is a butcher on both census returns. Martin and Samuel jnr both go on to become butchers also, suggesting this is a family trade – was Samuel’s father a butcher also? Maybe he was an apprentice somewhere – are there such records available?

There is also a thread here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,411839.0.html that mentions this branch of the family.

There doesn’t appear to be a marriage between Samuel and Betty KNIGHT. Betty is a single woman when Martin is born/baptised in 1835 and by the time William is born in 1838 they are claiming to be married. I’m not overly concerned about that – if anyone finds one that would be great but I’m more interested in finding Samuel’s past.

Samuel is a bit of an enigma at the moment.
I don’t have any other WIMBUSHs born in Wolverhampton until c.1900. I don’t have anything solid on him before the birth of William, and this is where I am hoping RC’ers can help out. Can Samuel be found anywhere prior to 1838?

I know this isn’t set in stone but first daughter is Mary, Betty’s mother was Mary. Second daughter named Betsy – after Betty herself? Betsy didn’t live long and the 3rd daughter was then named Betty as well. Second son is Samuel – named after his father maybe? Could Samuel’s father be a William? Maybe Samuel was illegitimate?

I am also curious about the possibility that Samuel’s parents may have been canal-boat people as there is a branch of canal-boat Wimbush’s that ended up in Oldbury – only about 8 miles from Wolverhampton. I have their details going forwards, I only mention them because they are the nearest to Wolverhampton.

I know Samuel is not going to be an easy one but please post any suggestions or ideas – everything is worth following up.
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: JustKia's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
I've just spent the last hour trying to find anything without much luck.
No mention of any Wimbushs at St Peter's Wolverhampton.
Looking at 1841 for clusters I found one in the Northants ( Boddington) Oxfordshire ( Cropredy) and Warwicks border area.
Looking at the Northants marriage index the Wimbushs were long established in Boddington ( a very small village) there are marriages for Samuels but in the 1700s.
Looking at Cropredy PR's they appeared there in the 1780s.No baptism for a Samuel though. There is also a family in Tingewick Bucks in 1841, they are from the Cropredy branch ( burial of a Wimbush child 'of Tingewick' in Cropredy).
So all I haven't got is Northants baptisms, but Sandy on the Northants board has them. Maybe worth checking if there was a baptism of a Samuel at the right time.
With it being a relatively uncommon surname it may be worth checking all Wimbushs you can find anywhere before 1837.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaywit,
Many thanks for searching.

It's not part of this hunt I know but I'd love the info you have on the burial of a Wimbush child of Tingewick in Cropredy if possible please?

I am looking at all Wimbushs (I'm descended from the Boddington branch) - but this Samuel is the brickwall. He's mentioned on a couple of Anc boards as well, so seems that other people have been looking for him without much joy - I'm begining to think he was dropped off by aliens.

I've got 2 3 Samuel's (checked for Wimbush and Winbush plus variants) born between 1785 and 1815 who didn't die in infancy (not including this Samuel - I'll call him Samuel 0).

1. Son of Samuel Wimbush and Elizabeth Chapman - b.c1804 in Finchley m.5 Jan 1832 to Mary Ann Barnes (St Anne, Soho), m.18 Nov 1846 to Ann Hilhouse (Slingsby, Yorks), m. 29 Aug 1860 to Caroline White (Chepping Wycombe, Bucks), d.1882 Q2 in Finchley.

2. Son of Henry Wimbush and Bridget Dowding - b.31 Dec 1814 in Great Berkhampstead, Herts, m.16 jun 1842 to Rosanna Franks (St Marylebone), d.1884 Q4 in Oldbury, Worcs.

3. Another "alien"! I hadn't realised or made any hint of a connection here until right this minute. I don't have any baptism or census entries or even a death, but I do have 2 marriages and 4 children.
m. 22 Jan 1824 to France Watts in Leamington Hastings (2 children Isaac 1824 and Mary 1826) then m. 24 Oct 1827 to Mary Wes(t)ley (2 children Sophia 1828 and John 1830). Burial for Mary 11 Sep 1831 Wappenbury, no death found for Frances.
In 1841 Isaac is a farm servant in Leamington Hastings, Mary - not found, Sophia is in Eathorpe with an elderly Parker couple, John also in Eathorpe (next door) with the Heritage family at the Plough Inn. No sign of their father Samuel. No deaths for a Samuel until 1854 in Barnet (father of Samuel 1 in this post) and 1859 Manchester (the Samuel we are looking for in Manchester/Wolverhampton).
It's less than 5 miles from Wappenbury to Leamington Hastings via Eathorpe and Marton.

I wonder if Samuel 3 and Samuel 0 are one and same? Is it possible he left Wappenbury after his 2nd (?) wife died in 1831 and headed for Manchester? And if he might be and if he was born in Wolverhampton what was he doing in the Wappenbury area? Of course they could just be two totally separate people.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 17:32 BST (UK) »
I'll go through the Cropredy PR's again later and let you have all the Wimbush records.
Now if Samuel was from the Northants/Warwicks/Oxfordshire Wimbushs then his accent may have been difficult to understand in Manchester.
 What I am thinking is we only have that one reference to him being born in Wolverhampton, what if he actually told the enumerator something else?
Wappenbury for instance?
On those early census returns sometimes the enumerator put down either what they thought they heard or basically just guessed what the person had said.
I think he must have been married before, but if he had been widowed then why not marry again? Did he have another wife somewhere?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 June 10 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been looking around and can't spot anything!

The marriage of Sam to Elizabeth/Betty/Betsey is also not to be found....... yet!  8)

I was hioping to find a Will or something on NA..... still looking.

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
I've got the baptism of Betty (as Betty) 11 Mar 1804 in Farnworth (St Wilfrid), the same church Martin (the illegitimate son) was baptised in too, less than 10 miles from  So I expect that *if* Samuel and Betty married it would have been in the Manchester area. Their children were baptised in Manchester Cathedral.

I agree that pob Wolverhampton has probably arisen because of an error somewhere, maybe Samuel not being sure where he was born, maybe the ennumerator misreading the household return. I'm not sure that Samuel would have had to have the ennumerator fill the form in for him, to be a butcher shop keeper I'm guessing he would have been at least somewhat literate.

I appreciate you taking the time to have a look, keeping fingers crossed that maybe that elusive piece of information will turn up =)
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 11:11 BST (UK) »
In the early days of registration some people thought they could register the child OR have them christened they didn’t realise it was necessary for the registration and the onus wasn’t on the parents at this stage. So have you found bp.’s of the children who were not registered but died as youngsters, they would have had to be christened also to be buried with the full rites.
Am thinking further re Samuel Wimbush himself but could they have been non-conformists? Have you checked the non-conformist database?
http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

Where did Samuel learn the art of butchering? Are there any apprenticeships/ indentures?
Have you checked the directories of that time and before to see when and where Samuel was practicing butchering?

How about tax records he would have had to pay tax everybody does

What about electoral roles? If he earned more than £10 a year was over 21 he would be entitled to vote – did he own the house / shop where he worked / lived? Who did ? was it owned by the manor or the parish have you checked the manorial records  to see leaseholds etc? 
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 11:13 BST (UK) »

Hi Toni, long time no see.........    ;D ;D
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 June 10 11:23 BST (UK) »
 :) Back later..
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner