Author Topic: Matthias and Frances GAUNT - any descendants about?  (Read 20897 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Matthias and Frances GAUNT - any descendants about?
« on: Friday 16 July 10 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for any descendants of Matthias and Frances Gaunt (nee Green) - most particularly any who just may have photos of them which they would be willing to share!!  :D    The family arrived in Tasmania in 1830/1 aboard the 'Eliza' as free settlers, and they had a large family who in turn had large families - so somewhere, someone must be descended from them.

Most of the family was photographed at the 1894 Exhibition in Launceston - but by then Matthias and Frances were both dead, Matthias in 1874 and Frances in 1880.   I've seen one photo of Matthias in the little booklet called 'Down Windermere Way' and there is a very poor print of someone who might be Frances in the same book - but hard to see properly.

I would love to make contact with someone with an interest in this family!     ;)   I come from the family of Matthias's son, Edward.

Wiggy :D
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Matthias and Frances GAUNT - any descendants about?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 July 10 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again Wiggy,
You may alreay have this;
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A040326b.htm

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=463100.msg3272704;topicseen
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a9ne5amq9c4rl67ch755pqnp26&topic=462836.new

Have you contacted this other Rootschat member?

9 People on Ancestry with him in their Trees. No photos on line though.

I'd try scanning the possible photo of Frances and trying to have it improved on the Photo Restoration Board.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Trish,

Once again you've come to the rescue!!  Don't know how I missed that new thread starting only last June.  I'd read the ADB stuff but Rose_Francombe's thread looks likely - I've contacted her - maybe we will need to combine our search.

there ain't a hope in . . .  of scanning the VERY POOR PHOTOCOPY of Frances - maybe sending it to Mike(?) who does those beautiful drawings is the closest we'll get to seeing what she looks like!!

Thanks for the pointer to Rose's thread!

Wiggy
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline Rebecca Kelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 10 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Wiggy

I find this so interesting that there are people out there with an interest in Matthias and Frances. I would love to learn more too. My mother has a collection of articles and some pictures. One features the two sons of Charles who sailed on a certain boat. I will get the info from her and get back to you. She is away for a few weeks so it may take time! Our family still has the clock Matthias brought out on the convict ship (one of my aunts has it!).
Chat soon.

RK

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 10 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hooray - this is the sort of info I am looking for!!  Specially the photos/pictures!  I have most of the family listed up to Matthias's children and then down our Edward line - not all but most. 

Have you trawled through the Hobart papers of the day? - which you can access through Rootschat, (Australian/Tasmanian resources page) - fascinating - I have pages and pages of one line notes recording every time the Gaunts are mentioned in the papers - I am just trying to think how to use them to most effect.    There are a few mentions of Charles in the papers - not always being a good boy - but then neither was Edward who seemed to go in and out of bankruptcy all the time.   Might try and write them up in a family only booklet if I can find out a few more bits and pieces!!

Will look forward to hearing more from you!   Maybe we can help each other - Hope so!

Happy hunting,

Wiggy   - some sort of very distant cousin!!   ;)
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 July 10 01:49 BST (UK) »
Good news for you both ... RChat is grand  ;)

Here's a link for a chart to help figure out relationships down through the generations

http://www.hallsted.com/cousin-table.html

:D  :D  :D
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Amg13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 February 11 00:09 GMT (UK) »
G'day my name is Andrew Maxwell gaunt, middle name has been passed
Down the generations in my side of the gaunt family. family history
Has us descended from Charles. We have an old family photo album with photos from launceston studio. I have to scan them. Only a couple of pics are actually known to our family so help in identifying them would be good. Family scuttle butt has dr mathias competing his medical train in Scotland and was in the royL navy as ship surgeon. Apparently his sword is in the hands of famil in tasmania, I have only seen photsbof it. I have been to the church twice and will go back agzi. One day. The family has branches in western Australia kojunop with flight SGT Henry Harrington gaunt being a distant cousion went missing ww2  1943 flying beaufighter a19-145. Wreck located northern territory 1995. Major Charles gaunt is another cousion from victoria "gunner" gaunt military cross ww2 Syria another distant cousion.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 February 11 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Big welcome to RChat ...

Do you by any chance have any info on the life of Edward Cecil GAUNT, son of Edward and Emily (nee Ransom) ... Edward (Senior) was son of Matthias and Frances ....

Edward Cecil went missing sometime in mid 1908 and was declared deceased by Supreme Court of Tasmania in 1934 so that the family could finalise his estate.

PS I am not a family member, just an RChatter interested in helping Wiggy  ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,514249.0.html  This link is to a lengthy "scavenger hunt" here at RChat for Edward Cecil Gaunt  ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 February 11 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks - here's hoping some/all of them work for you!!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,463100.0.html  Matthias Gaunt  - Hertfordshire -  Rose’s thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,472936.0.html Dr Matthias Gaunt – Armed forced board

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,503528.0.html Court of Examiners for Surgeons

These are all the threads I've started at one time or another connected with Matthias Gaunt

Wiggy    ;)
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)