Author Topic: Job Description/Coal Mine?  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Seattle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Job Description/Coal Mine?
« on: Saturday 17 July 10 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just found that my grandfather lived in Penrhiwceiber in 1911 and was listed as a carpenter, below ground.  Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a timberman and a carpenter, specific to coal mines? I'm wondering what he actually did in the mine.  In later years he was a carpenter, cabinet maker and wheelwright.  Also, would there have been only one mine in Penrhiwceiber, or many?

Many thanks,
Seattle
Radnorshire - Morris, Mills, Vaughan, Crowther
Glamorgan - Thomas
Pembroke - Thomas
Sussex - Rogers
Lancashire - Ormerod, Shields, Bentley
Cumberland - Shields

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Job Description/Coal Mine?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 July 10 15:16 BST (UK) »
This is a guess but I would think the Carpenter would have produced and repaired the trucks, doors, stable stalls etc. where the timberman was probally responsible for the timber used in the beams and props.

Maybe you could mail these people they may be able to give a better explanation.

http://www.dmm.org.uk/company/p1024.htm

I also found this article that may explain the Carpenters job.

http://www.discovershropshire.org.uk/html/search/verb/GetRecord/theme:20070204190355
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 July 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
I also found this about timbermen!

The timberman was the person who constructed the supports for the roof of the mine shafts. Coal was cut away from around these sections. No timberman worked on his own - and miners traditionally worked in teams with their 'marrers' (Durham) or 'mates'. This was important because their lives often depended on the support of their mates - if roof timbers collapsed or a pocket of gas was found, they could pull one another out. (In fact, it was the undermanager's job to note barometric pressure when there was the danger of a gas leak. If the air pressure was high, it kept the gas stable in its pocket, but low pressure meant that it escaped into the mine shafts, and it could overcome people very quickly. They used canaries to tell if there was gas about underground; they literally 'fell off their perch' and died very quickly before the human nose could detect anything.)

The timberman's job was very important; if he got the supports wrong, disaster could follow. There was often flooding in mines, and the supports had to be strong enough to withstand the flow of water; they also had to withstand the shocks of explosions from other parts of the mines when explosives were used to start a new seam of coal.

http://www.financialcrisis2009.org/forum/Business-Finance/What-is-a-colliery-timberman-303526.htm
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Seattle

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 July 10 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you both, so much.  Both webpages were great and I have a much better understanding now.  My admiration still grows for all miners!

Regards,
Seattle
Radnorshire - Morris, Mills, Vaughan, Crowther
Glamorgan - Thomas
Pembroke - Thomas
Sussex - Rogers
Lancashire - Ormerod, Shields, Bentley
Cumberland - Shields

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 July 10 20:47 BST (UK) »
two mentioned here  - Penrhiwceibr & Cwmcynon

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Llanwonno/Penrhiwceibr/

There will have been others in the vicinity.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 July 10 00:23 BST (UK) »
Have a look at www.welshcoalmines.co.uk That will tell you what mines were in the area.
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hdblue

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at That will tell you what mines were in the area.

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Apart from that, you also can ref more resources at:  Carpenter job descriptions
Tks again and pls keep posting.