Author Topic: BRICK WALL  (Read 5920 times)

Offline markn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BRICK WALL
« on: Sunday 18 July 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi, I wondered whether any one could help me. I am looking at my partners family tree and have hit a brick wall. The information I have is as follows but I cant seem to go back any further.

William R Hamilton
B:30 Nov 1831 in Brampton, Ontario, Canada
D:3 April 1892 in Teeswater, Ontario, Canada

He married and had children

Mary Anne Temple 1830 – 1920
Alexander Hamilton 1855 – 1917 Marion Hamilton 1856 – 1900 Frederick W Hamilton 1859 –  Williamina Hamilton 1861 – 1885 Martha Hamilton 1861 –  Edmund Hamilton 1863 – 1940 Elizabeth Hamilton 1866 –  Selina Hamilton 1870 –  Wesley Hamilton 1873 – 1879

Thankds for any help that can be given. Thanks Mark

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRICK WALL
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 July 10 17:39 BST (UK) »
The death registration for Mary Ann Hamilton July 11, 1920 at Clinton shows her born Aug 23, 1830 England with parents John Temple and Mary Green - both of England.  She had been 70 years in Canada and 2 at her place of death.  Daughter, Mrs. Edwin Jervis, Teeswater, was the informant.

Couldn't find a marriage between Jervis and Hamilton to account for the daughter on the above.  However the marriage of Betram Charles William Jervis in 1924 gives his parents as Edwin W. Jervis and Selina Hamilton.

Debbie

Offline markn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 July 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
How interesting... I hadnt even thought that she may have remarried. I have got several selina Hamiltons in my tree so I will look at that angle. Thanks for the help.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 July 10 19:32 BST (UK) »
Attestation papers for Bertram state his mother was Mrs. Selina Jervis.  He apparently was born in Sintaluta, Saskatchewan, Canada on January 13(?), 1899.  in 1917 he was living in Clinton, Ontario.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0985/   
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 July 10 22:31 BST (UK) »
In 1861 the following families show up on the census in Chinguacousy Peel

W.R. Hamilton 31, b. Cda and wife Mary Ann 30 b. Eng with children Alexander(6), Marion(5), Frederick W.(3) and William A (1)

John Hamilton, 31 b. Cda and wife Mary, 25 with children Jane Anne(4) and James(2).  Also widowed Jane Hamilton, 60, b. Ireland and lodger Catherine Hamilton 16, b. Ire.  in the same household.

John Temple, 64, b. Eng. and wife Anne, 59, b. Eng. with adult children all shown born in Cda
Isaac (36), William(35), Edman(32) Mary A (30), Martha (28 ), George(21).

John and Jane Hamilton tie in with a William Hamilton on the 1851 census and might possibly be a link to his family.  They are still in the same district in 1851.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/098e/

John and Ann Temple are also in Ontario in 1851 although with not all children and in a different area.  This time children except for George are shown as born England.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/098f/

The death record indicated we were looking for a Mary Temple (Nee Green) and this is Ann.  However the marriage record for Edmond Temple b. Eng. 1835 shows s/o John Temple and Anne Green.  He married Eliza Marchant 20 May 1872 Peel County.  Perhaps mothers name was Mary Anne Green and she chose to use Ann on most of her records?

Debbie

Offline markn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 July 10 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Thats great thankyou. How does you think I get back back from William R Hamilton. Although I know his date of birth, I just cant  find out who his parents are. Im sorry if I am missing something.

Thanks Mark

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 July 10 19:54 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, civil registration of births only began in 1869 in Ontario. You could try to find him in the 1852 Census at the link below. He may still be with his parents since his oldest child is only 6 in the 1861 Census that cosmac posted and he may not have married yet.

This census database is free to search....

http://automatedgenealogy.com/

Civil marriage registration would not have begun yet either so you are looking at searching for a parish record for either his marriage or his parents' if they married in Ontario. The website below has some records of marriages (and baptisms for that matter) that took place prior to civil registration. It is fiddlely to poke around in but you just might find something. You never know.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onvsr/

Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline markn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 July 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
Well Thankyou. I do believe that I have found his mother and 2 siblings. I have checked other information and it seems to tie up. I have looked at the marriage one but unfortunately the year I want, is not available. Are there records from people emigrating from Ireland. Thanks Mark

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 00:35 BST (UK) »
You have a very specific date and place of birth - where was that information obtained?
What did the R. for a middle name stand for?

1871 and 1881 census give his racial origin as Irish and the 1891 shows both parents born in Ireland.

http://www.theshipslist.com/
One source for ships into Canada

The birth registrations for Selina and Wesley state their mother's name as Mary Ann Temple.

Debbie