Author Topic: Berkshire Hall?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Berkshire Hall?
« on: Monday 26 July 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
Anybody got any ideas as to where or which this might be? I know one of my family members in the photo, and they lived at Winkfield Row during WW2. Whereabouts would the Home Guard have done its practice at that time?

Warfield Park, Sunninghill? I am 240 miles away from the area so could do with some pointers please from them that might know.

Thank you

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Hall?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 July 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
The building looks very much like Fernhill at Winkfield. However its also similar to Cranfield Towers at Windsor!
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Berkshire Hall?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 10 21:17 BST (UK) »
I also found this which may explain the large number of Home Guard at such a property: Between March 1942 and the end of World War II in June 1945 Foliejon Park in Winkfield was the residence of Haakon VII of Norway and his son, Crown Prince Olav.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives