Author Topic: tcrengr's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 10194 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
tcrengr's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Monday 09 August 10 10:00 BST (UK) »

Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt.   It looks like one you can get your teeth into.   

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

My family is searching for its roots in England.  We know that our ancestor, Matthew Cockcroft, was born in Yorkshire and joined the York Fencibles (a.k.a. Invincibles) Regiment prior to 1798.  Somewhere between 1794 and 1798 his unit was sent to Northern Ireland and he participated in the Battle of Saintfield in the summer of 1798.  We have confirmed these facts through military paylists.  The story passed down through our family is that his unit was disbanded sometime after the battle and most of the men returned home to England.  Matthew, however, married a local woman and settled in Newtownards, County Down. 

We can trace all of our ancestors in Ireland from Matthew's children on down to my mother, but we cannot seem to identify the area of England where Matthew was born.  Matthew told his family that he was from the Flamborough/Bridlington area, however, there is no record of a Matthew born in this area.  Actually, there are very few Matthew Cockcrofts in the IGI, even when I try alternate spellings like Cockroft and Cockcraft!  I'm wondering if people had middle names back then and if they used them in their everyday life.  In particular, I'm wondering if Matthew would have used his middle name when he registered with the milita. Does anyone know if that might be the case?

I've identified two families that could possibly be Matthew's relatives.  The questions that I have regarding these families are as follows:

Family #1:  A Robert Cockcroft was born in Flamborough in 1755, the son of Richard Cockcroft.  This is of interest because Robert is also an unusual Cockcroft name and yet Matthew names his only son Robert.  The Robert born in 1755 has only one son, who is named Richard, so it's not looking like Robert is Matthew's father.  However, Robert had several sisters and I'm wondering if one of them might have been a single mother. 

Question:  The family attended St. Oswald's church in Flamborough.  I'm wondering if someone might be able to check to see is one of the sisters had a child.  The sister's names are as follows:  Esther (b: 1743), Alice (b: 1749), Sushanna (b: 1758), and Elizabeth (b: 1761).

Family#2: A Matthew Cockcroft was born in Illingsworth in West Riding in 1762.  What's interesting with this gentleman is that he had a brother named Isaac who was born in 1759.  According to the military paylists, there was an Isaac Cockcroft in Matthew's unit.  This could be a coincidence, but it's probably the best lead we have.

The Matthew born in Illingsworth was christened in the Church of England in Illingsworth.  He married a woman named Hannah Farnell around 1785.  On the marriage record both Hannah and Matthew list their abode as Ovenden and he states his occupation is a weaver.  They had five children, all of whom were christened at the Zion New Methodist Connexion Church in Ovenden.  On one of the children's christening records, I think it was John's, the family is designated as paupers.  This would fit with our assumption that Matthew was a laborer.

Question:
#1 - Is there a record of Matthew's death in Yorkshire?

#2 - Is there a record of where and when Hannah Farnell Cockcroft died.  (If Matthew remarried in Ireland prior to the birth of his son around 1810, then Hannah would have died sometime between the birth of their last child in 1793 and 1810.)

#3 - Matthew's oldest son Jacob was born in 1786.  Interestingly there is a Jacob Cockcroft who marries in Limerick Ireland in 1806.  He states on his marriage certificate that he is a soldier with the 23rd foot regiment.  Since the Cockcrofts do not appear to be native to Ireland, I'm wondering if the Jacob who marries is indeed Matthew's son following in his father's footsteps.  Or for that matter, is it Matthew using a different name?  Can anyone tell me if a marriage or death certifcate exists for the Jacob Cockcroft born in the Ovenden area in 1786?

Any help answering these questions would be greatly appreciated!
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: tcrengr's Scavenger Hunt... Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
i'm on the case  ;)
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:25 BST (UK) »
Interestingly I see the Flamborough Robert married a Hannah, Hannah Hanson on 29/11/1778 at Flamborough.

Where did the Matthew/Hannah marriage take place?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
from http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/fencibles/c_fencibles.html#_ftnref2

The term 'fencible' may come from 'defencible' and means a defence force. There had been fencible regiments raised for home defence both for the Seven Years War and the American Revolution.[2] The number of regiments raised, however, was nowhere near the number raised for this conflict. Fortescue described them as, "regular troops originally enlisted for service at home, and for the duration of the war only, and were designed to liberate the regular army from the United Kingdom for service abroad."[3] Many of these regiments did sterling service in the garrisoning of Ireland and others volunteered for general service, one saw action in Egypt; as well as, providing

2] For 1759-1763,  Campbell's Argyllshire Fencibles and Earl of Sutherland's Battalion of Highlanders [sometimes later referred to as 1st Sutherland Fencibles]. For 1776-1783,  2nd Sutherland Fencibles, Western Fencibles (Argyll), Duke of Gordon's Fencibles (Northern), Lord North's Fencibles (Cinque Ports), Lord Fauconberg's North Riding of Yorkshire Fencibles, Isle of Manx Fencibles, South Fencibles and Egerton's Fencible Infantry (Royal Lancashire Volunteers)  garrisons in England and overseas to free regular line regiments.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:34 BST (UK) »
Matthew, however, married a local woman and settled in Newtownards, County Down. 

Question:
#1 - Is there a record of Matthew's death in Yorkshire?

#2 - Is there a record of where and when Hannah Farnell Cockcroft died.  (If Matthew remarried in Ireland prior to the birth of his son around 1810, then Hannah would have died sometime between the birth of their last child in 1793 and 1810.)

#3 - Matthew's oldest son Jacob was born in 1786.  Interestingly there is a Jacob Cockcroft who marries in Limerick Ireland in 1806.  He states on his marriage certificate that he is a soldier with the 23rd foot regiment.  Since the Cockcrofts do not appear to be native to Ireland, I'm wondering if the Jacob who marries is indeed Matthew's son following in his father's footsteps.  Or for that matter, is it Matthew using a different name?  Can anyone tell me if a marriage or death certifcate exists for the Jacob Cockcroft born in the Ovenden area in 1786?

does Matthew have a gravestone and is his age recorded on it?

do you mean is there a record of Matthews birth in Yorkshire ? as it seems he lived in Newtownards he would have presumably died there.

do you have record of Jacobs birth? did Jacob also go to Newtownards with Matthew

Sometimes men would not wait until their wife had died before 'marrying' someone else, he may have assumed Hannah had died or just wanted to set up home with the other women and did so, war changes a lot of peoples perspective.

it seems likely also that the Fencibles were abit like the homeguard in WW2, guys too old for actual military service so these were a back up force for the army maybe like todays territorial army

events (bp & marriages) at this time would have to take part in the Church of England churches except for jewish events

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:36 BST (UK) »

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:42 BST (UK) »
Another website with history of Fencible regiments.
This suggests they were formed in 1793.

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/fencibles/c_fencibles.html
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:45 BST (UK) »
from what i can establish the York Fencible Regt was created in York  in 1792 so he would have to join from this date on and i think along with the other Fencible regts it was disbanded by 1802.

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 August 10 12:48 BST (UK) »

Has anyone noticed I put this up on the wrong day??      ;D ;D              ::)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton