Author Topic: Liverpool Arrival, departure for Ulster  (Read 1675 times)

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liverpool Arrival, departure for Ulster
« on: Tuesday 17 August 10 00:03 BST (UK) »
I have been looking for the place of arrival for Agnes Bridget Gaffigan, an American citizen from in San Francisco, California.  On another board, Tony came up with an arrival, which had happened three days before her marriage, and it looked like a piece of the puzzle might be falling into place.

A Miss Agnes Gaffigan, a U. S. citizen, had left the states on the "Celtic" and disembarked at Queenstown, July 26, 1912. She was listed as being 23, which was close to my grandmother’s birth. We have no idea of how she traveled to Dundalk, or if this was my grandmother – but it surely does seem so.

I asked Tony if Michael Carroll, or McCarroll, had traveled with her, and the answer was negative. 

:o Then he found a “MICHAEL JOSEPH CARROLL,” a saloonkeeper (which was, at least after that time, and brothers and cousins were also publicans) had arrived in Liverpool in 1908 on his way to Ulster – but his recorded age was ten years off (listed as being 39, while he was 29). That would have eliminated him; but then it could have been a scrivener’s error.

We did not treat it as a recorder’s error (and you know that does happen with these things) so we had to dismiss this at this time.  But, when had Michael McCarroll returned to Ireland?  We know that he may have been here before Agnes, but have not found any record of his returning, or where he might have been staying in County Tyrone, in Ulster.

It would be appreciated if someone could look up this record and let us know just where this Michael was originally from, where he was traveling from (San Francisco or New York?), and his citizenship.

You see, we know that Michael was from County Tyrone and had immigrated to San Francisco, lived there for some 12 years, and had returned to County Tyrone.  We also know that Agnes had traveled to Ireland, had married Michael and raised a family in Fintona, County Tyrone. When Michael passed away in 1924 she had returned to the states, with the children.

Thank you, Jim Carroll

Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline sstrickland47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Arrival, departure for Ulster
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 November 10 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I see you have an interest in Carroll family. My great grandmother was a Johanna Carroll born, circa 1861, in Ireland---possibly Dublin but not sure. She married Robert Hodges, born 1-21-1863, (COI) of County Wicklow date unknown and had two children--Samuel (born 1-1-1887 in Swellan, County Cavan (we have located baptismal record and birth record but no info on her family) and Sophie forn in 1885 (cannot locate any records on her at all.) Johanna Carroll Hodges immigrated to the U.S. ( 1887-1895 or so)after the death of her husband . We think she was the Johanna Hodges on the Furnessia in 1895 and later married Louis Brandt in New Orleans in 1902. The U.S. Census of 1880 (massachusetts) lists two Johanna Carrolls, both of whom are domestic servants and born in Ireland in the same year as our Johanna . It is possible that she may have worked in U.S. and later returned to Ireland. We know nothing about her parents and are at a standstill---do not know where she met Robert Hodges, or where daughter Sophie was born. Does this sound like anyone in your Carroll family?
Enniskillen, Cork, Cavan, Dublin ; families of Hodges, Carroll, Nevin, McCann; Jack, Felix, Hugh, & Lizzie McCann of Enniskillen

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool Arrival, departure for Ulster
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 November 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
 :-[  Sorry, but my McCarrolls were from Ulster, County Tyrone to be exact.  Around the Fintona area. I did have an Honora Carroll though (before she married a Honihan) on the other side of the coin (my mother's relatives; she was from Cork.  But none were  from Dublin.

I don't really know if Nora was a McCarroll or an O'Carroll, because I have met some that were Micks from that end of Ireland.  The Micks were from (and that is not an aspersion for an Irishman!) a different sept than the Elys, which originated from central Ireland.  8)

Thank you for asking because you can never tell when you shall have a "hit."
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.