Author Topic: cms Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Veni, veni, veni Locamovae cum me
    • View Profile
cms Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In
« on: Tuesday 14 September 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
Welcome to this weeks Scavenger Hunt....  You've possibly seen it before, but as cms says, she's hoping for some 'fresh' eyes to have a look and bread down the wall.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Barbara

I have asked about this one a couple of times on Rootschat to no avail but I am hoping this time someone can make a breakthrough.
It concerns my brickwall gt gt grandfather    WILLIAM BATE

The censuses for 1851, 1861 , 1871 and 1881 consistently give his place of birth as Appleton, Cheshire. He lived in Much Woolton, Lancashire on all these censuses.

First problem: I cannot find a record of his BIRTH, circa 1816.

Second problem : He had a wife   ELLEN CASE   with whom he had children starting in 1838 with George followed by 10 others. Ellen has a child Anne born 1836 with no father mentioned. I cannot find their MARRIAGE.

Ellen Case was born in Much Woolton in 1815 so it seems likely that the marriage took place there or nearby. I have been to Liverpool Record office and scoured the marriage records to no avail. All the obvious channels have been tried (Familysearch, Ancestry, Liverpool BMD etc)

I will be over the moon if anyone can crack this one!

Links to previous threads.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,167101.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,195752.0.html
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: cms Scavenger Hunt....Everyone Welcome To Join In
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 10:55 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at this baptism?

It isn't that far from Appleton and slighly earlier than you thought but you never know.

William Bate

Gender Male

Baptism/Christening Date 11 Jul 1813

Baptism/Christening Place Warrington, Lancashire, England

Father's Name Henry Bate

Mother's Name Betty
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 11:02 BST (UK) »
I see William was a shoemaker, always trouble in my mind. ;D ;D ;D

Anyway what about this marriage in Manchester?

Marriage: 7 Apr 1833 St Mary, Manchester, Lancashire, England
William Bates, bachelor, cordwainer,
& Ann Allan, spinster

I would follow that up to see if you can find that couple on later census returns.

Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 11:14 BST (UK) »

You do like the shoemakers don't you Jaywit.......     ;) ;)
Onley/Only/Olney In Islington.<br />Wallwork In Bolton and Walkden<br />Lamb In Bolton and Ireland<br />Grundy In Bolton<br />Blackledge In Bolton<br />Osbaldeston  ?? ??<br />Barnett in Islington<br />Binyon in Islington
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline cms

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for these - unfortunately the nice free day I had set aside to answer your replies has turned into babysitting a 9 month old who is crawling everywhere so i cannot respond at present...back later.
I do appreciate all your help.
caroline
BATE, Lancashire
CASE, Lancashire
CHILWELL, Warwickshire
DRURY, Prees, Salop
McCOLL, Greenock and Appin
SMEDLEY, Nottingham
ASHWORTH, Buxton

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 11:36 BST (UK) »

You do like the shoemakers don't you Jaywit.......     ;) ;)

Only through my own experience, they are a pain in the ********** It must be something in the leather ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The one in my tree ran off with a much younger woman with the same christian name as his wife ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I still haven't got to the bottom of that one.

Offline Tephra

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 11:42 BST (UK) »

You will....... give it time       ;D
Kitchen in Bolton
Parker in Bolton

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I'm NSW Australia based, so please accept my apologies if my geography of Cheshire is not up to scratch, but have you considered the following christening: (for your first problem  ;) )

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start

William Bate 10 March 1816, at Church Minshull, Cheshire with his parents recorded as William Bate and Elizabeth

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
William Bate he says he was born Appleton maybe this is the first place he can remember living so he was not necessary born there, people didn’t keep track of their age as they do now days but I appreciate the census was every 10 years does his given age tally with this?  As they didn’t keep track of their age as they do these days I would allow a bit either side of his given age, when did he die what age have you got him as there?  obviously this is what the informant thought him to be.

Re Ellen maybe they didn’t marry was William free to marry or not? Even was Ellen free to marry or not? Just because she had an illegitimate child does not mean she wasn’t already married to someone else although the law supposes a child born to a married woman is that of the husbands whether this be the case or not I am not sure when this began but certainly after civil registration in 1837 it was the case. Although a woman could name anyone as being the father of her child right up until 1875  if the illegitimate child was born pre 1837  this then the actual PR may show the reputed or imputed father
Maybe they [Ellen & William] simply didn’t have the money to marry or as it was back then a promise of marriage often meant that in common law they would be seen as married.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive