Author Topic: Criminal Record Australia  (Read 5951 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Criminal Record Australia
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 00:49 BST (UK) »
Philip, info about NSW convict records still extant (and those no longer extant) is here:
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/resources-for/historians/convicts/convicts

Unfortunately many records were destroyed in the mid 1800s.  Tasmania is very lucky to still have so many including the conduct records etc.

Those of us with NSW convicts to research have to make do with piecing together a history using lists, indexes and the occasional mention in the newspapers  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

;)  I read it as 7 years transportation handed down in July 1816, so unless he had a later sentence passed in the Colonies I think he was free to leave once he had his Certificate of Freedom, either the one issued in July 1823 or the one issued in Sept 1824.  

The 1818 and 1820 NSW Musters have recorded James Rosewell as 7 years, ex Lord Eldon with the conviction at Bristol in July 1816.  Both those Musters show him as a engaged in Government Labouring in the NSW colony.

I have not found him in NSW after that 1825 muster which notes he was in New Zealand in 1824.  

His Certificate of Freedom could well include a description of him.  A copy can be purchased from NSW State Archives...
http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx

Agree with Prue re scant pickings in NSW records ....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi nameless  :)

James ROSEWELL was sent from Bristol to a hulk prior to his transportation on the "Lord Eldon":

From Bristol, 6th Feb 1817.  Received on board the prison hulk "Laurel" at Portsmouth:

Jas Rosewell, aged 18.  Crime:  Grand Larceny.  Convicted at Bristol, 15 July 1816 and sentenced to 7 years.  Disposed of 18 April 1817 to NSW.

Cheers
Prue

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 01:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this very helpful additional information.

I didn't realise that a lot of NSW records had been destroyed, so it's wonderful to have all these little titbits to help to piece together the story.

Kind regards and many thanks

Phil

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue,

Perhaps I should put this snip on the decipher board, as I cannot read the two names (person's name that James Rosewell was engaged to work for) before the 1824 N Zealand

F S T L presume Free by Servitude & Ticket of Leave

Now to find a Ticket of Leave, surely it will have a description of the chap ... Fingers crossed

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 01:14 BST (UK) »
I had a look at that earlier and couldn't make out what it said at the end there...looks like "Clear[e]d in Thalia"  ???  Would the Thalia be a boat that took him to NZ?

I will go and put a posting on the deciphering board with a link back to here so people can have a look.

Cheers
Prue

Added:  message posted here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,482884.0.html

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 01:17 BST (UK) »
This is really exciting

Thanks so much for going to all this trouble; it is hugely helpful (and very interesting as well!!)

Kind regards

Philip

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 01:21 BST (UK) »
 ;D

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/1090178 .... If it is a ship, then Thalia was in NZ waters whaling in 1824

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 01:25 BST (UK) »
Neither the Society of Aust Genealogists nor NSW state records seem to have a ticket of leave for him.  

I've never found a ticket of leave or a certificate of freedom for one of my two convicts, so it's obviously possible that some of these records have been lost.

Cheers
Prue