Author Topic: Thomas Peach Morris - father of John Warren Morris  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Chrissy P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Peach Morris - father of John Warren Morris
« on: Monday 22 November 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi – I wonder if any one has either of the ‘Morris men’ named on the attached recruitment form in their family trees? I have tried (unsuccessfully) for over two years to trace my great-grandmother’s brother Thomas William Morris, born 7th July 1850 in Potters Bar, South Mims, Middlesex, England.

The reason I am wondering if the men named on the attached may be connected is the middle name of Thomas ‘Peach’ Morris. Thomas William had a brother whose middle name was Peach – it being their paternal Grandmother’s maiden name. Quite a few members of the family have since been given this unusual middle name – and I am wondering if Thomas Peach Morris could be the son of my missing Thomas William Morris?

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Peach Morris - father of John Warren Morris
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:14 GMT (UK) »
There is a death for a Thomas Peach Morris, age 72, widowed, farmer, born April 20, 1854 in Norfolk county, Ontario.  He died on January 16, 1926 in Markham township, county of York.  He was the son of John Morris, born USA, and Ann Peach, born England.  Informant was daughter, Lulu Lehman, Markham.  Burial was at Peaches, Markham.

Susan

Offline janinez

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
If you post more details we may be able to help you find Thomas William  ;D

Ellis, Coll, Ward, Toovey, Tait, Stone, Fowler, Stephenson, Dry, Townsend, Walters, Grainger,

Offline Chrissy P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 10 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for those speedy replies! It seems that Susan's replies blows my theoery out of the water - another branch of the 'Peach' family also gave their offspring the Peach middle name too.

As for more details - if only I had something concrete to give! Thomas Morris is a very common name in census returns and the only definate one I have is for 1861, in Lewisham, Middlesex, England. At this time Thomas was living at home with his father Robert. His mother had already left the marital home, taking one of Thomas' sisters with her. By 1871 the family had split up completely - so tracing Thomas has been impossible so far - which is why I pinned my hopes to that recruitment form! I really don't know if he ever left England - but cannot find an appropriate death for him either. Thanks for the offer, but perhaps I need more details before anyone can help.

Offline janinez

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Okay, if you post what you know from the census you have eg. Birth areas, dates siblings parents names we may be able to trace them for you.

Only if you want to of course.

Rootschatters are only to happy to help  ;D ;D

Ellis, Coll, Ward, Toovey, Tait, Stone, Fowler, Stephenson, Dry, Townsend, Walters, Grainger,

Offline Chrissy P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janinez

Many thanks for your offer of help - its definately worth a try!

Thomas William Morris was born 7th July 1850 at Potter Bar, South Mims, Middlesex. Father: Robert Morris. Mother: Martha late Stevenson formerly Smeeton. Mother's address (she was informant) 19 Railway Square Potters Bar. In 1851 he was still living in Railway Square with his mother and father, brothers John Peach, Robert and Edwin and sister Matilda.

1861: living in Kelvin Grove Lewisham with father Robert; Sisters Matilda (17)and Emma (7 - my great-grandmother) whilst brothers Robert and Edward (should be Edwin) are over the stables next door. There was another sister (Martha - aged c.9) who is living with their mother and new partner.
That's all I know of him - and of his brother Edwin for that matter. All the rest of the family have been traced. 
Chrissyp

Offline katherine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 15:53 GMT (UK) »
I too would be very interested in information on Thomas and Edwin as I've not been able to find them after 1861 either.  Matilda, daughter of Robert and Martha, was my gg grandmother. I've often thought that they must have emigrated somewhere as neither seems to be around and they don't seemed to have died.

Thank you
K

Offline Chrissy P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Katherine - I think that makes us third cousins! I believe I may have heard of your connection to this family via Margaret in Australia? If not there is another Katherine out there somewhere! Margaret made a break-through re: Robert and Martha's son Robert - I hope she sent you details, if not, I'll ask her to pass them on to you. Now we only have Thomas and Edwin to sort out - I'm sure we'll be able to solve the puzzle one day!

Best wishes - Chris

Offline katherine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Agreed. Thomas and Edwin are still elusive.  I'm Katherine.