Author Topic: Margaret & Elizabeth Cook.  (Read 6612 times)

Offline KMcKenzie

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret & Elizabeth Cook.
« on: Thursday 02 December 10 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello, i'm hoping someone may be able to help me find out what happened to my Great Grandmother's sisters - Margaret & Elizabeth Cook.

Margaret was the second of ten children to Peter Cook & Jane Spratt. She was born 7 December 1880 in Lochend Street, Campbeltown. She Married Donald McNeill on 3 July 1903 in The Manse, Kirk Street, Campbeltown. Donald & Margaret had 10 children 6 of whom definately died in infancy. Both Donald & Margaret were still alive in 1917 as this is stated on their son Donald's Death Certificate on 21 April 1917. However, i have been unable to find a Death for Donald & Margaret & 4 of their children - Jane McNeill 15 December 1905, Peter Cook McNeill 18 November 1909, Annie Cook McNeill 1912 & Mary Cook McNeill 1914. It could be possible that they emmigrated to Canada, but i didn't know how to put this topic into two separate forums???

Elizabeth was the ninth of the ten children to Peter & Jane. She was born 2 October 1891 in Saddell Street, Campbeltown. She Married William Campbell on 4 June 1912 in Lady Mary Row, Campbeltown. I think i have found two of their children - Catherine O'May Campbell in 1915 and John Campbell in 1917. Yet again i cannot find a death for either of these people or their children. Like Margaret & Donald they may have emmigrated to Canada.

One more i could add is a Sister to the above Peter Cook (Father to Margaret and Elizabeth). There is some confusion as to her real name. It is different on her Birth Record, the census' and her Marriage certificate. It is either, Elizabeth Annabella Cook - Annabella Elizabeth Hamilton Cook or Annabella Hamilton Cook. She was born 27 November 1870 in Millknowe, Campbeltown & Married a Duncan McPhee(sp varies) on 29 December 1899 in 52 Edmund Street, Glasgow. They have a son, Duncan Hamilton McPhee on 1 July 1901 in Millknowe, Campbeltown. Annabella & Duncan were living in Glasgow in the 1901 census so they either moved back to Campbeltown after the Census was taken or Annabella was visiting family when she gave birth and then went back to Glasgow, i don't know unfortunately. I can't find a Death for either Duncan sr., Annabella or Duncan jr. & haven't been able to find any more children of Duncan & Annabella.

Any help would be appreciated, Thankyou!

Keelan :)
McKenzie - Inverness & Argyll.
McCormack - Lanarkshire & Ireland.
McCullen & Gribben - Northern Ireland.
Cook/McCook - Killean & Kilchenzie, Argyll.
Mustard/e - Campbeltown & Angus/Perth
McFadyen/McFarlane/McLean - Tyree & Coll
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Thomas & Cooke - Herefordshire, England
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Evans/Francis/Richards - Trefeglwys, Cemmaes & Merionethshire
Golba - Poland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret & Elizabeth Cook.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 December 10 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keelan

You are right about Donald and wife Margaret (Cook) McNeill heading off to Canada. They show as arriving at  Halifax, Nova Scotia on 3 Apr 1927, departing from Glasgow. The shipping manifest shows:

Donald, 44
Margaret, 46
Jane, 21
Peter, 16
Annie, 14
Mary, 12
Catherine, 8
Donald, 7
Isabella, 6

Birth place is showing as Campbeltown for the entire family. Contact back in the UK was given as Donald's brother, a Duncan McNeill, with a Glasgow address.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 10 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Having another go at this for you. Again, as you thought, Elizabeth and husband William Campbell headed off to Canada, arriving at Halifax, Nova Scotia on the 'Athenia', on 3 Apr 1927, from Glasgow.

William, 41
Elizabeth, 32
Catherine, 13
Jean, 5

Birth place is showing as Campbeltown for the family. Contact back in the UK was given as William's father, John Campbell, Backs Cottage, Campeltown.

Looks like sisters Elizabeth and Margaret, emigrated at the same time going by the shipping details for the Athenia manifest  :)

Monica

Offline KMcKenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica thanks for finding that information for me, and also finding some more children to add to my Tree. When i was reading that i couldn't believe my eyes. I have had the information i've been looking for the entire time. My Great Grandparents John McKenzie & Mary Cook travelled to Halifax, Nova Scotia and arrived on the SS Athenia on 3 April 1927. I even have a photo of the boat! Could you tell me what page they are on the Passenger lists as my Great Grandparents are on page 16.

What a doofus i am!  ;D
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Golba - Poland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Final piece. They all looked to have left for Canada. Just found the McPhees:

Duncan MacPhee, 56, engineer b. Glasgow and wife Annabelle, 56 b. Campbeltown arrived in Montreal, Quebec on the 'Minnedosa',  on 26 Jul 1929, departing from Glasgow. Contact address for Canada is their son Mr D. H. MacPhee, 795 Victoria Avenue, Windsor Ontario.

Keelan, don't be concerned about the variations in Elizabeth Annabella's names. Quite common to see people switch between name variants, or, in this case, first and middle names, for different registrations. You have her birth cert with her given names, she then looks to have gone mostly by her middle name. Just makes it harder for you on the searches!

Monica

PS: Just seen your post. Let me check on the manifest for the Athenia. There did seem to be a big contingent on the ship from Campbeltown when I was quickly flicking through some pages!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Page 28 for the McNeills and Page 14 for the Campbells.

Monica

Offline KMcKenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
i really appreciate your help, thankyou! I suppose i should now post something on the Canada Forum and hope for the best! Cheers again!   :)
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Golba - Poland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:43 GMT (UK) »
If you put a link to this post on the Canadian board, then anyone having a look will be able to take it from there.

You'll find young Duncan Hamilton MacPhee, a draftsman by trade it seems, travelled first to NY on the 'Carmania' arriving there on 26 Sep 1926.

In respect of expanding the MacPhee family, the release of the 1911 Scottish census next Spring will hopefully help you to find other possible children born to Duncan and Annabella.

Good luck with everything  :)

Monica

Offline KMcKenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 December 10 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be a pain, but how would i put a link on this page to the Canadian forum? I've never quite managed to figure that out... :-\
Sutherland - Edinburgh
Kitto - Devon/Cornwall
Golba - Poland