Author Topic: Offer: Pembrokeshire Military related Headstones  (Read 3573 times)

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Offer: Pembrokeshire Military related Headstones
« on: Saturday 11 December 10 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Further to the previous on the Pembroke War Memorial Web site. I have for a number of years being researching & databasing service related headstones of Pembrokeshire.
The difference between me and Steven John is that I cover both serving and ex servicemen/women who at some or anytime lived or where based in the county. My database currently covers the years of 1722 to 2006 some 3,000 jpegs in total backed by about 500+ pages(at the last count) of research.
Many of the serviceman & women, civilians & Land Girls etc., who whilst they served/lived in Pembrokeshire came from other parts of the U.K and either died here in war or peacetime.
A good number of these men and women buried here or elsewhere in the UK or overseas from what ever cause, including accidents (aircraft, road, railway), aerial bombing, illness, old age are not included on any Pembroke War Memorial and therefore are not on Steven John’s website.
In my database I have hundreds of references to overseas mainly 19th & 20th century, you name a country it is quite lightly a Pembroke Man/Women or someone related to the county has found his last resting place there. Whilst visiting friends in Paris I have made two long trips to record relevant headstones, but I’m only touching the tip of all those required.
I do not go near County Town/Village War Memorials or Cenotaphs as it is known there are a number of omissions and errors in these monuments. As seen by a query I had on how can someone add a name that is missing off the Pembroke War Memorial.
There are some truly fascinating stories hidden in these peoples lives which I very inexpertly try to reveal in my free talks around the county entitled “Stories behind the Headstones”.
Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline lambkin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 December 10 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I had some interesting info about my uncle who was killed in Singapore in WW2 from Stephens site. I am hoping to find a photo of him to put on said site. :-\
Buckney
Siddoway Durham/ Northumberland
Odell Stevington
Joy Kempston
Gilby Wellingborough
Brown Winlaton
Urwin Durham/ Northumberland
Poole Bedfordshire
Tompkins Stagsden Bed's
Vaughan Monkton Pembrokeshire
Buckney Angle Village Pembrokeshire
Grimes Langwm Pembrokeshire

Dudley Bedfordshire pre 1580

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 December 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I have a vast number of references to pembroke military related headstones/memorials in the Far East, a number with related portraits. We have one gentleman who was a member of a well known group, all of who where executed by the Japanese in August 1945. 2 of those responsible later committed suicide before their Courts Martial.

I am aware of at least 2 gentleman that are reported elsewhere as lost in Singapore, but where in fact lost either at Ceylon or Java. There may well be others.

My current Far East research cover military graves of pembroke people lost in the Far east 1874 (Davies ~ Singapore ~ illness) to 1973 (Hobbs ~ Singapore ~ car accident).

There is also the case of one gentleman a fire officer killed in explosion of Ammunition in India during world war 2, he was not considered to be a serviceman or on War Work at the time of his death and is therefore not recognized by the CWGC or on any War Memorial.

Land Army Girls ~ Those who joined the Land Army during world war 2 and died in service, we have 2 or 3 in the county (one was killed 2 weeks before her forthcoming mrge), are also not considered to have been on war work and therefore are not recognized by CWGC and do not, all appear on War Memorials.

All civilian 2nd war deaths at Haycombe Cemetery Bath received CWGC style headstones those at Llanion did not, in fact it appears most do not have any headstone at all.

Just because information appears on a website does not make it fact or true, far from it as I have learnt to my cost, equally because anyone chooses not to splash their research across the internet does not make that research any less complete than those who use established internet based information (with errors) to compile their own internet sites and call it their own research. But that’s a discussion for elsewhere.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline lambkin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 December 10 10:12 GMT (UK) »
My cousin in Australia had already sent me info on my uncle who died in a prisoner of war camp in Singapore but it was nice to see it on a 'local website'.

I also have found the cemetery on the Commonwealth war graves site, It is so sad.
Buckney
Siddoway Durham/ Northumberland
Odell Stevington
Joy Kempston
Gilby Wellingborough
Brown Winlaton
Urwin Durham/ Northumberland
Poole Bedfordshire
Tompkins Stagsden Bed's
Vaughan Monkton Pembrokeshire
Buckney Angle Village Pembrokeshire
Grimes Langwm Pembrokeshire