Author Topic: Knowhead, Broughshane 1842  (Read 5765 times)

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Knowhead, Broughshane 1842
« on: Thursday 14 April 05 14:32 BST (UK) »
I have just received a copy of the marriage certificate of my great great grandparents, David White and Jane Orr. They were married at Broughshane, County Antrim in 1842. My gggrandfather's place of residence is written as "Knowhead, Broughshane" and his occupation as "Farmer". My attempts to find Knowhead have revealed Knowhead Rd, but not an original property. Can someone with local knowledge tell me where he may have been living?

Regards

Megan Phelps
Sydney, Australia
Researching  Phelps, Millard, Orr and Sloane.

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Witness: ?Maber
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 05 14:18 BST (UK) »
In addition to wondering about Knowhead I am trying to decipher the signature of one of the witnesses to the marriage. Please see the image below and tell me what you think of the handwriting of the surname following "James".

Thank you in advance
Megan

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Knowhead, Broughshane 1842
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 05 15:12 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the references to Knowehead, Broughshane in the following....perhaps you could contact the site owner for further help:

http://www.island.net/~rjbw/WilsonFT.html

http://www.island.net/~rjbw/Jawmem.html

http://www.island.net/~rjbw/Barnett%20Wilson%20Letters.html
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 05 21:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Scotsmum

What a difference an extra "e" makes! Thankyou so much. This will help greatly, I'm sure. It is interesting that Wilson's had Knowehead from 1867. A number of Wilson men and later their nephew, Samuel McCaughey (later Sir Samuel) came to New south Wales from Ballymena area. My family were apparently connected to Sir Samuel's family.

Regards

Megan

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 05 22:22 BST (UK) »
 :)...no problem.  I'm sure I helped someone with this before though, perhaps you have asked elsewhere on this or another site yourself or perhaps it was someone else  researching Wilson that I am thinking of. Anyway, best wishes for your research.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Stev1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 May 06 07:45 BST (UK) »
Knowehead pronounced nowhead was a hamlet of 6 cottages only one kilometre or so as the crow flies due north from the centre of Broughshane. Broughshane lies on the south side of the river while Knowehead is on the north side. There was a mill thought to be a woollen mill in the hamlet although it is may have been a flax spinning mill at the time. There must have been a large house nearby because Knowehead has been recorded as the "seat" of J Logan in the early 1800s. If you have a map of Broughshane, Knowehead was located at the point where Knowehead Road turns due north after following the river due east. Although Knowehead was in the townland of Correen many records refer to Knowehead as if it was a townland. Hence Knowehead was also used to refer to the area roundabout and not the hamlet. Hence your relative's occupation of farmer. Today the cottages have all gone and the mill has been converted into a private dwelling. The land between Broughshane and Knowehead is residential property such that Knowehead is part of Broughshane.

My gg grandfather Adam Anderson lived at Knowehead and worked in the mill. James was a common family name.

Offline Blackadder

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 May 06 17:46 BST (UK) »
WHITE William Pte. 1 Irish Guards. KIA 15/10/1916. Service no. 8192. Son of Samuel of Knockboy, Broughshane. Brother of Robert (below). Comm. Thiepval Memorial, France.
WHITE Robert Rfn. Rfn. 2nd RIR KIA 10/8/1917. Service no 7896. Son of Samuel, Knockboy, Broughshane. Comm. Menin Gate.

The brothers above may well be related to your search.

Offline Blackadder

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 May 06 17:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.freewebs.com/snake43/ontheradio.htm

go here to hear a descendant of the White bros. talk (in broad Braid tongue!!) about them.

Hope this may be helpful.

Offline MegP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 May 06 08:51 BST (UK) »
Dear Blackadder and Stev1

Thank you for rekindling my interest in this bit of the family. I realised I incorrectly listed the date of David White and Jane Orr's marriage. They were married in 1862 (not 1842). Jane was born around 1843 and David in about 1840. They migrated to Australia in 1863 but I have yet to trace on which ship. Jane's death certificate gives her birthplace as County Antrim and her parents as Robert Orr, blacksmith, and Mary Davis, but that is all I have about the next generation back, except a supposed connection to William "Remember" Orr and Sir Samuel McCaughey in Australia.

With regard to an individual dwelling called Knowehead, this site has an image said to be of it in the 1920s and another showing Guy Wilson's daffodils and the house:

http://www.island.net/~rjbw/WilsonFT.html

I haven't yet located a map of Broughshane. but will try to do so so I better understand your description, Stev1.

Blackadder, unfortunately just clicking on the link didn't allow me to hear the voices (Safari on an iMac). Will work harder at this! Idon't know of any connection to the Whites who served in the Great War. There is also a supposed family connection to Sir George White of Ladysmith, but perhaps all Whites from around Broughshane claim this,

regards

Megan