Author Topic: Marriage lookup?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Becky84

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage lookup?
« on: Friday 31 December 10 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
 Would it be possible for someone to see if there is a marriage in ireland for a James Craig born c1830 ireland (shoemaker/grocer) and Mary bradley born c1832 ireland?, they had there first child in c1855 when they moved to scotland so the marriage will be around that time.

Thanks
Becky
Moyses (Ellis), Cunningham, craig, cockburn, tuttle, carr, bush, green, longhorn, sewell, Rimmer, Warkup, quantrill, oliver, atkinson (weel/Hull), Milner, Wilson....

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage lookup?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 December 10 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of Catholic marriages began in 1864 but non-Catholic marriages from 1845. The civil registration index is online (free) and can be searched for bride and groom separately then results cross-referenced for matching details.
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 December 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention that most Scottish birth certificates list date and place of parents' marriage. 1855 was the year that Scottish certificates had a huge amount of detail listed so would be worth checking to see what you find in the Scottish records first. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for details on certificates, how to purchase credits, search the index, view the certificate, etc.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&402

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 December 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
See that you've also asked on Scotland-General board for the marriage - you really need to find which country it took place in then check either Scotland's People or Irish civil registration index.
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,504101.msg3608589.html#msg3608589