Author Topic: James Monks  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Xotan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Monks
« on: Wednesday 26 January 11 15:12 GMT (UK) »
I am back on the trail of my gt gt gt Uncle James.

In brief, he lived in Tubbbergregan, Co. Dublin, b. ca. 1836.

As younger brother he did not inherit the interest in some land from his father.  Instead, this went to his older brother, Peter.  Peter died in 1884 and James (probably illegally) sold the interest in the land, which presumably should have passed to Peter's offspring.

The family story is that the first attempt at sale was boycotted by the locals as they deemed James had no rights.  However, he tried again and and 'outsider' made the purchase.  Peter's son took no action until the statute of limitations had come into force.

James, meanwhile, had gone to America.  he came back a pauper and ended his days in Dunshaughlin Workhouse in about 1896.  My father always insisted the his gt grandfather (my gt gt grandfather) and his uncle (my gt uncles)  had had the body exhumed .  This would have had to have taken place some time in the 6 year period before 1902 when my gt gt grandfather died.  The remains were then transferred to the traditional family burial ground in Ardcath, co. Meath. for burial there. 

I have been in touch with the County Library in Navan and they are unable to help me with any record of an exhumation or reburial.  Also, I have been unable to trace the burial records for Ardcath, and when in Ireland, I have tried on a number of occasions to see if I could locate a headstone.  Many had fallen over and other were just illegible.

Can anyone help, please?

I have tried