Author Topic: 1847 meaning of unqualified description "pensioner" -- only Chelsea/Greenwich?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile

This "news in brief" paragraph appeared in the North Wales Chronicle of Tuesday, 19 January 1847:
RUTHIN.-- A pensioner, named Thomas Davies, met his death last week, under the following circumstances. It appeared that he had been at Ruthin, to receive his pension, and afterwards proceeded to Efnuchtyd [sic -- recte Efenechtyd] to see a relative, and started from thence for Clawdd Newydd.  By some mischance he missed his way, and was found next day quite dead in a ditch.

How would the average reader of the newspaper have been likely to understand that prominent reference,  right at the start of the piece,  to the man being a pensioner?

The question has arisen in a thread on one of the Welsh boards -- here (from Reply 36 halfway down the page),  in case anyone wishes to see more details.  It seems fairly likely that the report related to the Thomas Davies,  67 year old miller-turned-labourer,  who has been our main focus of interest in the thread -- the details in his death certificate appear to match well (date,  inquest,  death by exposure,  etc.).

My rough guess was that the chances were about 70% in favour of the writer of the piece having meant "out-pensioner of Chelsea or Greenwich Hospital".  But it would be helpful to have the benefit of the wisdom of a broader circle on the point.  Can anyone come up with a likely alternative explanation?

Back in the 1840s they were seventy years before the launch of anything approaching a general state-sponsored retirement pension;  and Davies seems unlikely to have been "grand" enough to benefit from one of those fairly rare state pensions granted as a matter of royal favour or government discretion.  But were there bodies such as the Post Office that already supported superannuation schemes for the generality of their employees -- with a local payment network of the type apparently implied by the news item?  I suspect not;  but I would be very interested to learn to the contrary.

As discussed in the thread,  the soldiers' attestation and discharge indexes to WO 97 have suggested some possible candidates;  but they offer nothing conclusive.  It seems that the only sure way of discovering whether the Chelsea/Greenwich theory is correct would be to go to TNA and look at the pension payment returns for Jan/Feb 1847 in WO 22/116 (possibly WO 22/19).  But first it would be a great advance to have some consensus that Davies's name really is likely to be there.

(Then may come the equally challenging question of finding some kind person within range of Kew who might be able to use an upcoming visit to check whether the documents actually include a page worth photocopying ;) -- offers gratefully received,  but that is a quite separate matter.)

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1847 meaning of unqualified description "pensioner" -- only Chelsea/Greenwich?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 11 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Rol,  I would think that he was in receipt of an army/navy pension.     Skoosh.

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1847 meaning of unqualified description "pensioner" -- only Chelsea/Greenwich?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:26 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks for that,  Skoosh -- good to have a supporting opinion of the evidence!

All contributions much appreciated.

Are there any counter-views out there -- or is it really a case of nemo contra?

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline johnxyz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 February 11 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I can't offer a counter view either. I've only encountered 1 amongst my ancestors. Described as a pensioner in the local paper's death notice in 1863, aged 80.

I did ask the local family history group - the universal view was that it implied military pensioner.

Once I'd found the right mis-spelling, it was well worth tracing him in detail through the Kew records - he'd been out to Australia in 1819/1820 as a guard on a convict ship. Accompanied by his wife - their eldest daughter's baptism was in Sydney. 

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 February 11 22:09 GMT (UK) »

I'm grateful for the additional info,  John.  Your case sounds like quite a close parallel,  and it is good to hear that the people you consulted in the local family history group were all of a similar mind.

Well,  I think the 125 page views currently showing on the thread's meter can reasonably count as a quorum;  so,  if after three days there are no dissenters and people think the WO22s really are worth checking,  the natural follow-on Q goes live . . .  ;) -- is there by any chance some Kew habitué who has read this far and would be willing to pre-order the two piece numbers and add a little light reconnaissance work to next time's to-do list?

Here's hoping,  anyway. :)

Rol