Author Topic: Laurette BLAIS (ON-1904)  (Read 4145 times)

Offline jillian3cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Laurette BLAIS (ON-1904)
« on: Wednesday 09 March 11 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for information on Laurette BLAIS.  I think she was born in 1904 to Alphonse and Lida (or Leda), if I found the right person in the 1911 census.  I think Laurette was born in Ontario.  Her parents may have been born in Quebec. 

I know she married a man who's last name was CRAIG.  They had a number of children, including my grandmother (E.R. Craig).  I'm particularly interested in who her husband was. 

Thanks!
Jillian

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Laurette BLAIS (ON-1904)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 11 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

The only marriage I have been able to find between a Craig and a Blais ....

Daniel Grant Craig, 27
Lauretta Agnes Blais, 17
Both living in Ottawa, Ontario
Lauretta b. Chapleau, Ontario
f. Joseph Blais
m. Blanche Chapman, deceased
29 Sep 1925
Knox church (Presbyterian), Ottawa

Does this date match what you know about births of your grandmother and her siblings? Unfortunately, births in Ontario are only available to the public up to about 1910-11 so I can't check the records against names you might have. You could look for this family in the 1911 Census too although I realize you do not, at present, know which parents you are actually looking for. This young lady w/h been born about 1908.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 March 11 00:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth registration for an unnamed girl who was born to Joseph Blais and Blanche Chapman in Chapleau, Sudbury District, Ontario on 28 May 1910.

Using that information, I found a 1911 census entry for the family in Ottawa, Ontario. Here's a link (starts on line 44):
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=4298

The census indicates Laurete was born Jan 1908. It looks like the daughter born in May 1910 was named Leneige.

If that is the correct family and your Laurete was married to Daniel Grant Craig, the marriage registration indicates he was born in Scotland and his parents were James Craig (deceased) and Catherine Grant.

There is a new database at Ancestry which contains the registers for the Beechwood Cemetery in Ottawa. There is an entry for Daniel Grant Craig which indicates he was born in Scotland on 24 Jun 1892 and died 16 Apr 1974. His parents are listed as ___ Craig and Catherine Grant and the informant was his wife, Mrs. D.G. Craig.

There is also an entry for a Charles Craig who died 10 Oct 1939 and was almost 1 year 7 months old. His parents are listed as Daniel and Lauretta Craig and Daniel was the informant.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline jillian3cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 March 11 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I don't know if we have the right Laurette, but it sounds promising.  My mom had thought it was "Lauretta" (instead of "Laurette").  And there is a descendent with 'Grant' as a first name (and another named 'Craig'). 

I'll see if any other family members can confirm the info. 

Thanks,
Jillian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 March 11 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I don't know if we have the right Laurette, but it sounds promising.  My mom had thought it was "Lauretta" (instead of "Laurette").  And there is a descendent with 'Grant' as a first name (and another named 'Craig'). 

I'll see if any other family members can confirm the info. 

Thanks,
Jillian

According to what Polarbear and I have posted it appears the one who married Daniel Grant Craig went by both Lauretta and Laurette.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 March 11 16:57 GMT (UK) »
The only information I could find on the family search site for James CRAIG & Katherine GRANT
 was a birth of a brother, James Craig, Oct 13 1891 — Kirkintilloch, Dunbarton, Scotland
https://www.familysearch.org
Couldn't see Daniel on the 1911 Ontaio
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 March 11 05:30 GMT (UK) »
There is only one Daniel Grant Craig listed as being born between 1888 and 1900 at ScotlandsPeople. He was born 24 Jun 1898 in Kirkintilloch, Dumbarton to James Craig (stone mason) and Catherine Grant. The year is different but the day and month match the birth date listed for Laureta/Laurette's husband. James and Catherine were married 31 Dec 1885 in Kirkintilloch according to the birth registration.

It's possible that Daniel and one of his brothers were Home Children. On the passenger list for the Hesperian which departed from Glasgow and arrived in Halifax on 11 April 1910, there are a Daniel Craig (11) and a Charles Craig (14) which match the names and ages of the youngest two of James and Catherine's children. They were part of the Quarrier's party and their destination was Brockville, Ontario.

I found a death registration for James Craig and he died in Kirkintilloch on 31 Aug 1911 but it says he was a widower having been predeceased by two wives (first Annie Swan, second Catherine Grant). The registration indicates he died from a form of tuberculosis which he had been suffering from for 4 years. Catherine Grant died 14 May 1905. Catherine's death and James' illness would certainly be cause for Daniel and Charles to be put into the Home Child program.

I haven't been able to find Daniel or Charles on the 1911 Canada census either.

Jacquie

(Everytime I do a search on Daniel I can't stop thinking about James Bond. :P )

Offline jillian3cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 March 11 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Wow - you found a lot of information - Thanks! 

I have an e-mail into my uncle to see if he knows what his grandpa's first name was.  I'll post when I hear back from him. 

Online J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 March 11 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Well the death of a wee son Charles sounds feasible....Great find, jacquie on the BHC site...Have found no other evidence of them so far in Home children sites...

A boy of the right age, but says born England...not a lot matches except that he's a servant ( not sure if age or date was miss noted)
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=47336
I have even tried tons of phonetics like Gregg Graik Craik,  etc...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com