Author Topic: Johanna Frances Maher born Thomastown.  (Read 2530 times)

Offline vhowie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johanna Frances Maher born Thomastown.
« on: Tuesday 15 March 11 03:32 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone can find further information for me regarding my great grandmother Johanna Frances Maher/Mahar my great grandmother.
She emigrated to Australia in the 1850s/60s. I have been unable to establish her date of arrival. She settled in South Australia.
Her name has been listed as Mahar/O'Mahar.
Her death certificate states she was born in Thomastown,Kilkenny, Ireland. ABT1844.
Her parents were Patrick Maher and Catherine Despburn( I think this may be Spruhen/Spruhan.)
Her grandfather was Michael Spruhen of Jerpointabbey,Thomastown,Kilkenny. I have located a record for him in Griffiths Valuation he was a resident in 1853.
I cannot locate records for Johanna,Patrick or Catherine.
Any information would be helpful.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Frances Maher born Thomastown.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 March 11 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what religion your Maher family was ?

Since the birth is well before the start of Civil records you will need to check for availabale church records.

See :  Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline vhowie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Frances Maher born Thomastown.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. They were Roman Catholic. In a death notice published Johanna has actually got St Michael Jerpoint Abbey Thomastown.
Not sure what this means or where to look. Will look in the records you have mentioned. Have looked at Kilkenny website, have found Michael Spruhen but still working on Patrick and Catherine Maher.

thank you