Author Topic: South Australia before 1842?  (Read 2697 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
South Australia before 1842?
« on: Thursday 21 April 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Are there any South Australian records before 1842? Looking for details on Elizabeth Moore, born Devon around 1817, arrived in SA Supposedly aged 16, so early 1830's.
She married John Chanter in 1842, as Betsey Parsons, one of her children's birth certificates show her as Elizabeth Chanter, late Parsons, nee Moore.
The marriage record does not list her parents. I am guessing that she possibly arrived in SA then married Parsons who died pre 1842. I suppose I could order the marriage cert and see if it gives any details of her previous marriage.
I have all details of her family with John Chanter and her death so I don't need anything after 1842.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline redmr2red

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia before 1842?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 11 07:33 BST (UK) »
As per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_South_Australia

The first settlers and officials set sail in early 1836. A total of nine ships consisting of 636 people set sail from London for South Australia. Most took supplies and settlers to Kangaroo Island on the present site of Kingscote to await official decisions on the location and administration of the new colony ...............  Most of the settlers were moved from Kangaroo Island to Holdfast Bay with Governor Hindmarsh arriving in December 1836 to proclaim the province of South Australia.

So it's not many years from 1836 to 1842

Cheers, Red
Clarence, England then Australia from 1912.
Copeland, England.
Lascelles / Lovett / Stevens, England.
Langford, England (Reading and Southampton).
Kipp / Rigbye / Randall, Germany then Victoria, Australia from 1849.
Boothman / Clifford / Marsden / Johnston in Australia

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 11 07:51 BST (UK) »
Hi mum mum,

From BISA

CHANTER John parents John and Frances nee ANDREW arrived 1840 aboard the JAVA dep VIC 1856 0ccupation Shoemaker, Publican, Gentleman residence Adelaide, Walkerville religion C/E
married 1. Ann who was born about 1808 and died 31 Mar 1840 Adelaide SA buried bd: WTC
child Wm Dennis 1839-1894
married 2. 10 Jul 1842 Adelaide SA to Mrs Eliz PARSONS nee MOORE
children Clara Ann 1843, John Moore 1845, Mahala 1846-1846, Celia 1847,
Lawrence Moore 1849, Fredk Moore 1850, Eliz 1852, Albt Moore 1857, Arthur Moore 1854
married 3. Mrs Martha HUNT nee PRITTIE
children 7 children

No entry for Richard PARSONS

Interesting that when looking at the arrival of the Java  aboard the same shop we have a -PARSONS family

http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1840Java-PassengerLists.htm

Burials

PARSONS Richard 28 a Blacksmith of Hawdon Street was buried at WTC 4 Feb 1841
PARSONS Richard aged 9 months of Hawdon Street was buried at WTC 7 Feb 1841

CHANTOR Ann aged 32 of Currie Street was buried at WTC 31 Mar 1840

1841 Census

Hawdon Street

PARSONS
1 male under 35, 1 female under 25 1 male under 7, 1 female under 7

Currie Street

CHANTOR John not listed

App for Free Travel

PARSONS
Richard a Blacksmith 1 male 25 1 female 23 twin sons aged 2 months appliaction no 5255 embarkation no 3546 arrived 6 Feb 1840

CHANTER John a shoemaker 1 Male 24, 1 female 32 son 1 months aboard Java appliaction no 5254 embarkation no 3617 arrived 6 Feb 1840

They appear to have applied for free travel at the same time.

Cheers Kris  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 11 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kris,
I had missed the Parsons on the Java, I had John's arrival with the first wife Ann and her death, but I hadn't looked at the entire list, just searched for Parsons and was looking for an earlier arrival. I didn't have Ann Chanter's place of burial either.
If that was the right Parsons couple I guess richard and the twins could have died before 1842. would be reasonable to assume that she already knew John Chanter.
And it looks like if she was born in 1817 she didn't arrive at age 16 as her death certificate said.

So I will look for a marriage in Devon for Richard Parsons, I have struck out on Elizabeth's birth at this stage.

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.