Author Topic: William Constable and Daisy Blunt Vyse  (Read 5780 times)

Offline Helenap2401

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Constable and Daisy Blunt Vyse
« on: Tuesday 31 May 11 22:23 BST (UK) »
Searching for information on William Edward Constable born in 1884 in Eastbourne. Sent to Canada as a home child in 1894. His Guardian is given as a Mrs Tarrant, belived to be Susannah Maude nee Ellaby.

He served in the Canadian army in WWI.

He married Daisy Blunt Vesse (correct spelling of surname Vyse) in 1916.

He settled for some time in Souris Manitoba but on his father-in-law's obit of 1943 he and Daisy were in Toronto, Ontario.

I believe he died on the 11 Aug 1958 but I don't know where had they returned to Souris or were they in Toronto.

Would love to find out about his death and maybe that of Daisy or anything else you wonderful people might be able to tell me. 

Thanks.

Helen

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Constable and Daisy Blunt Vyse
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 02:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I checked the Toronto Star Obituaries for the dates after the 11th of Aug 1958 and I didn't see William listed.  Perhaps he did move back to the West?

Here is a suggestion - check the Toronto Directories for 1943 through 1958 to see when William was in Toronto.  I go to the Toronto Reference Library every 5 weeks or so, and I could check for you.  My next visit should be around the beginning of July.  If you would like to know sooner than that, you can contact the Toronto Library and use the Ask A Librarian feature to see if a librarian would look up a few of those years for you.   

http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/contact/ask-a-librarian/ask-a-librarian.jsp

RK :)

Offline Helenap2401

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much RK,

I would be very grateful if you could look it up for me on you next visit to the library.

Kind Regards

Helen

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 23:54 BST (UK) »
OK.

I have added them to my list.  William ought to be there in 1943 - we will see how long he remained in Toronto. 

RK

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 July 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you had him on census but will post for others who may be looking
Constable, William...b May 4 England, occ. labourer in 1901 in the Winnipeg Barnardos Home, superintendent and matron David & Kate White  http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=66520&highlight=16
Perhaps in 1906 http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census06/
and not sure if this is correct entry for 1911 Dauphin  http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=65061  I see the 1916 marriage was in Souris which is a lot further south...but about the same distance away as Winnipeg was to Dauphin...so if looking for work ( It was tough times ) he may have travelled to wherever he needed to earn a living

Quote from Ups & Downs publication WINNIPEG HOME (pg 8-9)  http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/BRITISHHOMECHILDREN/2001-02/0983296076
 Nov 1 1896 Branch Home opened as centre of distribution
 additional outlet for boys 12 & 13 from Muskoka foster-homes
 Manitoba & North-West Territories great demand for such boys
 Mr & Mrs David White, Sup't & Matron
 last 5 years, over 1000 boys admitted & placed out
 demand in Manitoba & Western Provinces has far exceeded the supply
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 July 11 18:11 BST (UK) »
Were there more home children from Thomas James Constable & Sarah Jane Picknell
( A rellie with a page on Sarah's ancestry) http://www.mandywillard.co.uk/surnames/tullett/william_1795.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Helenap2401

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 July 11 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ,

I am not aware of Sarah and Tom having an other children sent out, but it is possible that other children came out with the Constable name but Tom was not the father. Sarah and Tom had split up and I can not locate Sarah or William or a sister Alice on the 1891 census in the UK. I find Alice on the 1901 and 1911 census and Sarah reappears in 1911. Tom I have on all census but he had remarried.

I guess Sarah could have had other children illegitimate as I can't find out about her.

I have little info and most of what I do have has been gained from his William's military records.

Thanks for the info as every little bit helps. 

Just as a side I have a photo of him taken during the early 1920's that was sent to my grandmother and it was that photo that started my search for William.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 July 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I finally got a chance to look in the Toronto Directories.  You know that he was in Toronto in 1943.  The only William Constable in the Directories for 1942, 1943 and 1944 is William H. Constable who lived at 50 Stibbard Avenue.  There is no William E.  Do you know if he had another middle name??

In 1945, there are 2 -
William H at 50 Stibbard
William A D (constable in the CNR investigation dept) res 218 Coxwell

In 1950, the same 2 -
William H at 50 Stibbard
William D (CNR) 637 Euclid

In 1954 and 1956
William H at 50 Stibbard
William D at 106 Douglas

1957 onwards, the William H is no longer in the Directories.   So, if this is your William, he could have died in Toronto or moved out West.  I know this doesn't answer your question, but I hope it is helpful information.   The William A D can't be yours because he is still alive in 1960.

1957 - only William D
1958 - William A D (CNR) 106 Douglas; William (carp) 236 Boulton; William (carp) 95 Pickering
1960- only William D (CNR) 106 Douglas. 

Offline Helenap2401

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hi RK,

Thanks for doing this, no William only had the name Edward as far as I am aware. That said I have his army records which state he died in 1957 so it is possible that he was using another name? Not sure why this would have been but is is of course possible.

Where would I go to apply for the actual death certificate as I only had the date on his army papers? Maybe it holds the key to the mystery.

Thank you again for all your help it is very much appreciated and please let me know if I can ever help you out here in England.

Kind regards

Helen