Author Topic: Francis Comyn  (Read 1210 times)

Offline BewitchedKat1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Comyn
« on: Monday 18 July 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
I have today obtained details of my great-great grandfather Francis Albert Comyn's (died WWI at sea, 1917) marriage to Edith Paynter.  I requested their marriage certificate (Sept. 8 1903, Plaistow, West Ham) in order to see the details of Francis' father - listed as a "gentleman" also by the name of Francis Comyn.  Bizarrely, on public notification of Francis Junior's death, his mother was listed as Annie Noble, as she is on the marriage cert. for Francis and Edith, though there don't appear to be any details available anywhere suggesting that she ever remarried.  I'd therefore be grateful if anyone were please able to find details of Francis Snr-Annie's marriage, separation / divorce / death / birth /where they lived or similar.  Thank you!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Comyn
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 July 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
He was 36 when he died so born c 1881

No birth reg on freebmd under Comyn or Noble

No Comyn/Noble marriage on freebmd

No 1881/1891/1901 entry for him either

Was he born in Ireland perhaps?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline BewitchedKat1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 July 11 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for checking all of this.  :)  It's very puzzling.  I had heard rumours that he was born in France, but Francis Comyn also seems to generate many Irish links on searches I've done.  I've just found evidence of a Francis Comyn Esq. attending a Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland meeting in Dublin in 1857, so I don't know whether or not it's likely / possibly that this is his father?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 July 11 19:05 BST (UK) »
I don't think he was born in England or Wales and I have just checked Scotlands People and there is no birth there either

If he was born in Ireland, he was born after Civil Registration so his birth should be found - but it isn't on the IGI search

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1&countryId=1927084

I also tried the same website for a Comyn/Noble marriage but no joy

Was he in the Navy when they married in 1903?  I can't see a 1911 index entry for him but there is one for an Edith Comyn b 1881 and she is living in Cardiff
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Mort29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 July 11 19:08 BST (UK) »

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 July 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mort - I have asked for this post to be merged with the original to prevent any further duplication of info