Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 9 Episode #1: June Brown  (Read 9909 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 9 Episode #1: June Brown
« on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
 :)

well , i liked this one
plenty of documentation , and starting from a time when most of us are hitting
the brickwall
interesting , sad , and yet it even made me laugh when June mentioned the
fact that her ancestors(Jewish) could sign their names and not put a cross , to
which the Dutch archivist replied it would have been more likely to have been a circle

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 9 Episode #1: June Brown
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
I have just watched the June Brown programme.  Oh dear!  They will have to be a lot better to keep me watching the rest of the series.  It was dreary except for the last few minutes.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do You Think You Are? June Brown
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
Quite agree.  Fascinating to be able to go so far back, but the presentation was frankly dull.  And what about the other side of her family?  They didn't get a mention.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed June Brown's programme and found it fascinating how so many records were available in each place.  My teenage daughter watched it with me (under sufferance) but in the end she found it interesting too. 

June wanted to follow that particular line, personally I prefer shows where they concentrate on one line as then there's plenty of detail and flesh on the bones.

Heather

Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline halhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:40 BST (UK) »
I found it more interesting than some others, in that it was building on work already done by June (and her family?) and therefore going back into much earlier times than usual.  Wasn't it stated at the start that June wanted to find out more about Isaac Bitton?  In general the recent programmes have only looked at one line and I thought this was a fascinating line.

The one thing I would have liked to see was June telling details to her children at the end.  With the family gathering at the start I hoped that they might have met again to hear the story.  They could have made time for it by cutting a few of the 'pretty views' which had no 'voiceover', particularly the one which caused me to think 'Hang on! We were in Madrid - where's this?' before we were told it was the Royal Archives outside Madrid.
BARNES - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
FORD - Gloucestershire
FROWEN - Gloucestershire; Canada (Ontario)
HAWKINS - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean), Canada, Australia, South Africa
HAYNES - Gloucestershire
KNIGHT - Deerhurst, Gloucestershire
MAYO - Gloucestershire (Forest of Dean)
PAYNE - Frome, Somerset; Stroud, Gloucestershire
PRIDAY - Gloucestershire, Australia
SHIPWAY - Stroud, Gloucestershire

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Who Do You Think You Are? June Brown
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
I can't see a thread so will start one

It was an interesting program and although June stated at one time she wanted to find out if she really was from the East End nonetheless a fascinating story of the sephardic jews.

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 11 00:28 BST (UK) »
I thought it was fascinating.  I wasn't really looking forward to yet another European Jew emigration story - but this was something new. 

Then I thought they had just made a wild assumption about the Oran chap - but they managed to tie it all up nicely and proved me wrong ;D Great detective work

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 August 11 00:53 BST (UK) »
Havn't seen it yet (taped) as tonight was also  the last episode of the brilliant 24hrs in A&E on ITV .

We have also  been enjoying the latest series of Heir Hunters .

One or two people on the latest  list for WDYTYA I have never heard of..Larry Lamb?but in the end most will have some points of interest .

Spring

Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 August 11 08:44 BST (UK) »
Too much emphasis on June's fags was my initial impression !!

But I was interested; good to see that so many Jewish records are preserved, when we think of the centuries of Jewish persecution, and that she could access them.  What an interesting family over the generations and to find roots in so many countries. 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk