Author Topic: Green Street Dublin  (Read 1670 times)

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Green Street Dublin
« on: Sunday 21 August 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
Could anyone please tell me if there was a family of RING living at Green St in Dublin in 1879 - 1881?  He was I believe from his marriage cert  Nov 1880 a Policeman born in Co Kilkenny living in Green St, his father Patrick a Farmer.
Many thanks

Related Thread : Patrick Ring
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Green Street Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 11 10:24 BST (UK) »
from Thom's 1879

11 Green Street,
     Police Station, D District - Thomas Devin, superintendent

also

25 Police Station, C District

There's also a Green Street on the south side- that only has  a single business listed 'Green Bros., corn merchants'.

No mentioned of an Ring households on either street.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 11 11:26 BST (UK) »
If I have the correct family then it looks like your King family were at the Sackville Gardens address from 1886, at least :

Baptism of Gulielus (William) Ring, 4 Sackville Garden - 23 Nov 1886
  Parish of St. Agatha (RC), Dublin City

The earlier baptisms for children of this couple are at 6 King's Av. between 1884 and 1881...

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 11 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane

Thanks for your help and info.

I think the house in Sackville St was police housing, maybe or maybe they owned it not sure.  1911 is in Gaelic so can't read it!!  I think I have all the baptisms of their children but there could be more so far I have 6 of them.

So could it be that he was living in the police station  then when he married Elizabeth?  Did they have living quarters?  I wonder how he met his wife Elizabeth if she was living in Julianstown Meath and he was in Dublin, unless of course she was visiting her brother William Griffiths who was married to Esther Smyth in 1880 in Dublin.......you remember? Mary St etc.

Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
I've seen policemen give the barracks as their place of residence on marriages before, but not sure if that was just a temporary arrangement, or here there were full time living quarters inside the barracks.

some slightly later listings for Sackville Garden that might be of interest :

Thom's 1914

Sackville gardens, off Ballybough road
  Civil Parish St. George, Mountjoy Ward

1 James Mitchell
  2 Mrs. Moran
  3 Michael Kelleher
  4 Patrick Ring
  5 Christopher Ring
  6 Mrs. Wilson

1 James Mitchell
  2 P. Manning
  3 E. Tuttle
  4 Mrs. Elizabeth Ring
  5 Christopher Ring
  6 Patk. Ring

looks like maybe Patrick snr. died between 1914 and 1927...

Shane
My Surname Interests

Online dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 11 18:31 BST (UK) »
4 Sackville gardens is still there. If you go on Google streetview you'll be able to see it.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344