Author Topic: Duff / McDuff - can anybody help me please.  (Read 4250 times)

Offline ShashF

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duff / McDuff - can anybody help me please.
« on: Monday 12 September 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any ideas on how to go about finding my g/grandfather.  His name was Robert Alexander Duff/MacDuff and he came from Glasgow, Scotland.  I was told by my late Aunt that he left Scotland - in fact she said his family paid him to leave (don't know whether that's just a story or not) and came to South Africa and then dropped the Mac and just used the surname Duff.  The only information I have is a marriage transcript stating that he got married in 1888 and he was full age, a death certificate for his wife which indicates that she had 6 children before she died at the age of 28 due to complications after the last child was born (3-month old son). The 3 month old baby was my grandfather who was raised by another family - the oldest son went to live with a different family, 2 girls were put into an orphanage and 2 sons died when they were a few months old.  Robert was a trader - selling mining equipment to the diamond diggers in Kimberley.  He disappeared after his wife died and he wasn't seen again until around 1948 when he was old and he visited my grandfather in Kimberley.  None of his children wanted anything to do with him so I have no idea what happened to him.  In the meantime I was told that a law firm in Glasgow posted a notice in the newspapers (never found out which one) looking for him - unfortunately I don't know how I could go about finding out any leads in that regard.  After that long saga I am just hoping that someone somewhere might have an idea or a tip on whereto from here.  Kind Regards
Sharon
DUFF - South Africa, Scotland
PALMER - South Africa
DAY - Warwickshire, England
FRAUENSTEIN - South Africa
LENTZ - South Africa

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: Duff / McDuff - can anybody help me please.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon and welcome to RootsChat,can you tell us what was his wife's name.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline ShashF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there, thank you for the welcome, having re-read my query I realise just how little I actually know - his wife's name according to her Death Notice was Johanna louisa Pamer and it states that she was born in Bedford (South Africa).  Although originally my late aunt insisted that her name was Susan.  Robert & Johanna lived in Kimberley where their children were born and where she is buried. Surely Robert must have left some sort of trail - he can't just appear from nowhere! Not having a birth date or even any idea of when he died I am really battling. I have contacted the Salvation Army in South Africa but their records are in storage and the Mens Hostel in Kimberley had a fire and all their records burnt, I thought maybe Robert might have ended up there in his old age.  I have also found that the Orphange has closed down and all the records are in storage - I thought perhaps there might be some information in there about Robert.  I know that he was definitely in SA by 1888 but how he got here, when he came over and where he originally landed I really have no idea.  I'm definitely clutching at straws here - hoping someone in the know might give me some pearl of wisdom on where to look or what other avenues I can try.  Thanks again for your time. Regards Sharon
PALMER - South Africa
LENTZ - South Africa

Offline ShashF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 September 11 08:19 BST (UK) »
Gosh, I've just noticed that I made a serious spelling error - Robert's wife's name was Johanna Louisa PALMER, I left the L out of Palmer.  Her parents were John & Susannah Palmer.  Regards Sharon
PALMER - South Africa
LENTZ - South Africa

Offline stevepaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 20:54 BST (UK) »
I have just found out that my Grandmother  who is 89 yrs old is the Grandaugter of Alexander and Elizabeth Duff her maiden name is Alexandrena Duff Carnie.
Her mother and father lived in Newhaven in Edinburgh Scotland she had 3 sisters and 2 brothers.
Alexander and Elizabeth had nine children 5 girls and 4 boys. Jim Duff,Daniel Duff,Walter Duff are the names she could remember. Walter was known to my Gran as Uncle Berty he was in the Navy and his Grandson Paul Duff lives near me in Broxburn West Lothian Scotland.
Hope this helps and you have now got me interested in looking deeper into my family tree.

Offline ShashF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 April 12 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Stevepaton

It would be wonderful if we are from the same line .... but .... I can only find info in South Africa from 1888 for my Robert, I don't have a birth date but I think he might have been born around 1860 as I finally found him buried in a paupers grave in 1950 in South Africa aged 90.  Looking at his children's names there seems to be Roderick's, Robert's, Leslie's, Ronald's & Maxwell's (the last three could be family surnames) that seem to crop up quite often. 

I was told he came to South Africa around the Diamond Rush from Glasgow and I was hoping that someone somewhere might have a missing person but as yet I haven't found anything.  Who knows ... as you dig deeper you might just find my Robert on your tree (one can always hope).  Best of luck with your searching.

ShashF
PALMER - South Africa
LENTZ - South Africa

Offline DennisAndrews

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 December 13 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
Just came across your old post.
Robert Duff is my great grandfather. one of his daughters, Ethel Susanna Duff was my grandmother.
She was baptised on the 16th June 1890 in the NG church in Warrenton, Northen Cape.
I have also struggled to trace anything about Robert Duff.(still looking)
Best Regards
Dennis Andrews

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I would suggest posting on the Scotland/Lanarkshire board to see if the experts there can help

To find the baptism of a Robert Alexander MacDuff/McDuff/Duff circa 1860 around Glasgow

To find him aged approx 11 in the 1871 census

Hope this helps
Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline ShashF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dennis .... thank you for your post, we are from the same line ... both searching for Robert. ;)

Hello Valerie ... thanks for the tip, I think I will take you advice and give them a try.

Many thanks
Sharon 
PALMER - South Africa
LENTZ - South Africa