Author Topic: The name Chew....  (Read 2182 times)

Offline chewmonster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The name Chew....
« on: Friday 30 September 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am new to this board and wondered if anybody had any further information relating to the family name of Chew. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The information I have so far is taken from a fantastic article by Bob May and is as follows:

There was a "Charlie "Flimpy" Chew, a boatman, and his family who worked the canals in the Black Country a century ago.There was also a Black Country postcard showing the Chews at Tipton Turn - and with it was a memorial funeral card given to the mourners at Charles Chew's funeral on October 27th 1926 in Bilston. We know now that Jabez Chew (b 1849 in Audlem, Cheshire) married Mary Boulter (b 1853 in Whitchurch) in 1871. In 1871 census he was described as a 'horse driver and vessel collector' - therefore a boating man, and they had a large family starting with: Charles Boulter Chew (our 'Flimpy') (b March 1877) and was given his mother's maiden name as his middle name which was quite common at that time: then followed Cornelius and Eliza Ann (twins), Ernest, Jabez, Isaiah, William, Jane, Elizabeth and Ambrose (who died young) over the next decade.

We discovered from records that the Chews' younger daughter Violet married a George H Hollingshead in Wolverhampton in 1921.

Many thanks

All the best

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline chewmonster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The name Chew....
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 September 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn, i wasn't sure where the request would be most applicable as it concerns boat family's, in shropshire and staffordshire. Are you not allowed to duplicate?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 September 11 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi chewmonster

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

You can make duplicate posts but please tell people you are doing so as I have done for you.

It prevents chatters getting upset after spending time on a topic on a different board only to discover someone has done exactly the same research elsewhere.

It might help if you take time to have a look at our guidelines for posting here

http://www.rootschat.com/help/index.php

Happy hunting

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline polly1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 September 11 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi chewmonster,I've just joined the site and saw your post.I was in Filey churchyard on Monday researching my own family and came across some Chew graves.I will be going again soon so will have a look,as the graves were in the same section as most of my fishing relatives.
Polly

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 September 11 21:08 BST (UK) »
Definitely plenty of Chew members in the Blackburn and Burnley area of Lancashire!

Bill

Offline chewmonster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 October 11 09:12 BST (UK) »
Polly1058 that would be extremely helpful, thank you so much for the information.

Cathaldus, thank you as well,  i will also concentrate on that area now.

All the best in your hunting!