Author Topic: Jane KEELING and son  (Read 3787 times)

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane KEELING and son
« on: Monday 06 February 12 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information as to where and when Jane Keeling,born around 1839 in
Potton, Bedfordshire ,England,arrived in Australia. She may have arrived with a one year
old son , Joseph. This would have been after 1865. She was certainly in Qld, but there is
no record of her arriving directly in Qld from England. I know it is a long shot but heres
hoping.
                                             Thanks
                                                       pwh

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: jane keeling and son
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 12 21:41 GMT (UK) »
This appears to have been researched previously...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,519984.0.html

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 February 12 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Where was Joseph's birth registered?

Not all shipping records survive and she may be one of the many female passengers in steerage.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have the dcs for either Jane or her son?

If they died in Queensland, (or NSW or Vic or NZ) then it is likely that the death certificates would show how long they had been in the colonies.   Of course that detail depends on the informant's own knowledge, but it can be a pointer as to when they arrived in Australia.   Perhaps you could provide the names of her parents?  These details also usually appear on dcs and mcs. and can help too.   Could she have travelled under a former surname perhaps?   

Have you recently checked the Queensland resources linked here at this RChat thread? There are often updates on the links in these resources.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369972.0.html

Cheers,  JM

I am looking for information as to where and when Jane Keeling,born around 1839 inPotton, Bedfordshire ,England,arrived in Australia. She may have arrived with a one year old son , Joseph. This would have been after 1865. She was certainly in Qld, but there is no record of her arriving directly in Qld from England. I know it is a long shot but heres hoping.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane KEELING and son
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

You may find further cuttings at Trove, but this one places Jane Keeling and Joseph Keeling (a butcher) in Queensland by July 1870. 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/51579109 Rockhampton Bulletin and Central Qld Advertiser 13 July 1870
Jane Keeling and Joseph Keeling, a butcher.

http://trove.nla.gov.au

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 02:36 GMT (UK) »
From the Qld State Archives website:

The passenger lists are primarily for assisted passengers from the United Kingdom and Europe. Please note that this list does not include passengers from New Zealand, the Americas, Asia, Africa, other Australian ports or those passengers who paid their own fare (in a few lists there are fare paying passengers included). This index does not include all immigration records for that period.  The records for the 1860s are incomplete because they were inundated in the 1893 floods. The registers held at Queensland State Archives were rewritten from the damaged originals during that period.

If she arrived around that time maybe record of her was lost.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 02:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you details about Jane Keeling's son, Joseph?  I notice that TROVE has the following cutting

KEELING-KIRKALDY-March 25 1893, at St David's Church, Surry Hills, by the Rev J Hargrave, Joseph, eldest son of Joseph Keeling, Esq , of Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England to Euphemie, widow of the late   James Kirkaldy, eldest daughter of the late John Caldwell, of Leith, Scotland.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13902848 SMH 29 Mar 1893.

Your OP mentions that Jane was from Bedfordshire. 

NSW BDM online index gives the reference as #409. 

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm

Cheers,  JM

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Jane is on the 1861 English census with her parents Joseph and Hannah Reeve with one year old Joseph. They are in Leighton Buzzard, Befordshire.

It states she is 23 married and a straw platter.

Class:  RG9; Piece:  1005; Folio:  113; Page:  24; GSU roll:  542735.

He may have been registered at birth as Joseph Reeve though
Joseph Reeve
Jan-Feb-Mar 1865
Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire
Vol: 3b Pg: 411 (c
See Majm's I transcribed the wrong one
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 12 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

From Familysearch, Historic Records:  https://familysearch.org

There is a marriage for a Jane REEVE, aged 20, with father as Joseph, to Joseph KEELING, aged 19, at Leighton Buzzard, Bedford, England on 10 June 1859.

There is a baptism for a Joseph KEELING, at All Saints, Leighton Buzzard, Bedford, England on 25 Dec 1859.  His parents recorded as Joseph and Jane KEELING.

From FreeBMD http://www.freebmd.org.uk/iindex.shtml

There are two marriages listed for the second quarter of 1859 for Joseph KEELING at Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire ....  Vol 3b page 654 and Vol 3b page 656

There is one marriage listed for the second quarter of 1859 for Jane REEVE at Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire Vol 3b page 654.

There is a birth registered for Joseph KEELING at Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire in the fourth quarter of 1859, GRO reference Vol 3b, page 378.

There is a birth registered for Joseph REEVE at Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire in the first quarter of 1865. Vol 3b page 411.

ADDING,   (after reading Ted's post, and thinking some more about it),  Could this be a RE-REGISTRATION, giving Joseph a new surname after his father deserted Jane .... Speculations of course, and this 1865 civil registration GRO cert should help clear up any questions.

Peter,

Some questions ....

:) Do you have any of these certificates, and if so, please let us know the information on these.    In particular, confirmation of Jane’s nee name and her parents names would be a good start.

:) Do you know if Jane KEELING or her son Joseph actually stayed in Australia?

:) You were recently looking for information about Margaret Sabina GREENOUGH .... she is clearly not related to Jane KEELING as these two ladies were both married to Joseph KEELING, so may I please ask which of these ladies are you actually related to?

Cheers,  JM