Author Topic: "N.B." in burials register  (Read 6384 times)

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
"N.B." in burials register
« on: Saturday 17 March 12 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have a quick question... I have been looking up some of my GUEST ancestors in the Flintshire burials register (for Hope Parish), and see that the curate (Robert Roberts!) has written "N.B." at the end of the row for some of the entries. What does this mean?
Sorry if I'm asking a silly question

Regards
Rachel
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "N.B." in burials register
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 March 12 06:50 GMT (UK) »
What period are we looking at?

If it's fairly recent, maybe it means 'not buried' because they were cremated?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 March 12 06:52 GMT (UK) »
One of them is my great great granddad, Joseph Guest, b 1833, buried 14 Dec 1887 in Hope, Flintshire...
Burgess (Warwickshire), Chenoweth (Middlesex), Cleland (Scotland), Dick (Yorkshire), Escreet/Escritt/Eskrett (Yorkshire), Evans (Yorkshire), Felton (Solihull, Warwickshire), Gould (Cheshire and Flintshire), Guest (Cheshire and Flintshire), Hasting/Hastings (Yorkshire), Hickson (Durham and Yorkshire), Little (Nth Ireland and NZ), Mattheus/Matthews (South Africa), Nicolson (NZ), Sanderson (Hull, Yorkshire), Shelley(Staffordshire), Southee (Kent), Summers (Fife and Glasgow), Turner, van Aardt (RSA)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 March 12 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just had a look at the page and I think it might refer to a New Burial Act.  This is written out in full on the first entry.

I think this refers to the opening up of new burial grounds at that time - Googling gives me this info:

http://beckettstreetcemetery.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=2  (It refers to England but is likely to cover Welsh  burial grounds as well)

So, my guess is that NB = New Burial Act or New Burial Ground.

gnu

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 March 12 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou! It's good to know that information - saves me pulling my hair out  ;)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 March 12 08:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm still reading up about all those  Burial Acts - didn't know about them all - I hate to say 'fascinating' - interesting more like  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burial_Acts_1852_to_1885

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burial_Laws_Amendment_Act_1880
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 March 12 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks gnu, I will check out those links, too  ;D

What is even more interesting is the fact that my great great grandfather had a son named Joseph Guest, who was involved in a crime of passion in July 1901 (just found out this evening since my initial post). This Joseph Guest jnr has 'N.B.' next to his burial entry, too.

I found this on the Denbighshire forum on Rootsweb: The farm Cae Clogyn or Cae Clogwyn was the scene of a "crime of passion" murder in 1901.  The farm was very prestigious in its day and had its own farm bailiff.  The lady of the house (Sydney Jones) was a great beauty and her Bailiff (Joseph Guest) was madly in love with her.  Unfortunately for him her affections lay elsewhere and on the day she was due to leave
and move to her beau she was confronted by him in the kitchen.  The date was 3rd July 1901.  Determined that if he could not have her then no other man would - he shot her.  He then turned the gun on himself - killing himself outright.  His victim however lay with severe head injuries.  She was taken to Wrexham Infirmary (imagine the journey - horse-power!) where she died 2 days later.  This crime of passion shocked the Nation and was reported in the London Gazette. 
The  story of this tragedy is reported in FULL in the North Wales Guardian dated July 5th, 1901.  It really was a sad case. There was also an article in the 1901 London Gazette (complete with artist`s impression). The report in the North Wales Guardian gives much more information on this tragic event.

For many years after - many parents - used to "threaten" their off-spring with being "left at Cae Clogwyn". 

The farmhouse stood empty and fell into ruins.  The substantial farm buildings stood and were used by local farmers for housing livestock up until the land was quarried in the 1960`s for sand and gravel.
All that was left of Cae Clogwyn was scooped away.  Although this area was known as "the old Quarry" it was only in fact quarried from the 60`s to the 80`s.  The path that runs from the Cymau end to the now Nature Reserve runs along the line that was the original old drive to the farm.

It's turning out to be an interesting evening!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 March 12 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I've just been  reading about it in The Times of 4th July 1901 (the day he was buried). Apparently, he was under the influence...

Offline lubok

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 March 12 08:52 GMT (UK) »
oohhh - how do I get hold of that article?!  :o