Author Topic: John CORBETT 1840-1871 Murdered in Queensland.  (Read 18406 times)

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
John CORBETT 1840-1871 Murdered in Queensland.
« on: Saturday 14 April 12 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I have a knife with the name B.E.CORBETT, possibly branded but could be engraved, on the handle. It was found (120 years later) within about half a mile of the grave of John CORBETT who was killed by natives in 1871.
The headstone at the grave site was erected by his brother Patrick, their father was also Patrick. So the knife didn't belong to any of these three.
However, I can't find any other family members who might have given John the knife, or even in fact if the knife did belong to John when he was murdered. Anyone living in the area could have been named CORBETT, but it's a bit of a coincidence and a lot of a mystery.
I'm still working on the origins of the knife, the hallmarks are quite clear and that shouldn't be a problem.
But I'd really like to know the story of this knife.
Leonie.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett
ENNIS-Thomas-Bonnin-Aldridge-Williams-Harding-Brown.
ENNIS-Davis/Davies-Buck-Oakley-
JONES-Roberts-Handy-Ross-Warrillow-Eagles-Cotterill-Bailey.
JONES-Walton-Grayson-Stobbs-Baldwin-Ibbotson-Scott.
JONES-Goodwin-Parker-Instant-Hubbard-Hancock-Skinner.

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John CORBETT 1840-1871 Murdered in Queensland.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 April 12 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi LB,

Please, Is there a  particular state ;D  where this knife was found....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 April 12 09:06 BST (UK) »
Erm... sorry,  :-[  I thought since I knew what I was talking about, everyone else did as well.  ::)
Queensland. Far north, outback. You can google "John CORBETT" or "Corbett's Grave" for the story.
Direct matriarchal line; ENNIS-Yeatman-Cooper-Papps-Ryland-Lechford/Luxford-Bagshaw-Henriett

STILL LOOKING FOR: Elizabeth Ann Balfour ENNIS nee DAVIS. Disappeared in Adelaide, South Australia. 1881.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 April 12 09:11 BST (UK) »
Umm.... I think it is my fault LB,  I should have read the thread title carefully, you have put Qld there in full ! .... Very sorry  :-[ 

I will get onto my e reader and go through some FNQ exploring/opening up journals... perhaps I can make amends and find the elusive Corbett mentioned...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 12 09:24 BST (UK) »
You might have more luck than I'm having with the knife.
I think it must be a stainless steel blade made for another cultery maker. The maker's name doesn't seem to be steel manufacturers

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
LB, I have a lot of offline QLD resources I can check for names  :)

Do you know how old the knife would be?

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 April 12 11:26 BST (UK) »
No idea at present, Merlin. I can't find anything on the makers. Well, I can find some stuff but nothing that helps dating it.
We have other bits and pieces from old town dumps & middens across the NQ Gulf Country, some in worse condition, but this one has the handle still intact so maybe not out in the weather as long as some others. Also no idea how long it may have been kept in a family before it was lost or thrown out.
Just seems a coincedent that we found it so near to Corbett's Grave.
I have no idea if either John or Patrick CORBETT had family. John was killed while out carting stuff to sell across the Gulf, Patrick had the stone cut in Townsville (I think, could heve been Cooktown) and carried it all the way out to where John was burried. So even if they had family it's likely they lived on the coast as well.

added;I supose I should put that here, might help, might not.  ::)
The blade has "Firth Brearley Stainless" stamped cross-wise on the blade, then "Maleham & Yeomans Sheffield England" along the blade, with the markings,   V- a crown - R , above and  what looks like a Maltese cross, > (sideways V) and a sideways M below the writing. I think somewhere in the those marks above and below the names have a clue to the date.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 April 12 04:40 BST (UK) »
Sadly, we did not find any mention of CORBETT when using the search option through the books on the e reader ....

Cheers,  JM

Offline LoneyBones

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wot, me worry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 April 12 10:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway JM,  :D
Guess I'll just have to write up the story as it stands.
No known family connection, but a strange coincidence.