Author Topic: mc manus family in scotland  (Read 3909 times)

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mc manus family in scotland
« on: Wednesday 30 May 12 14:43 BST (UK) »
hey i am trying to do my family tree and have come across a john mc manus that was born in northern ireland(co. tyrone) in 1900, but moved to scotland without his mother. i am unsure of when he moved, he would have died somewhere around 1995-2000. He also has family in lurgan (co. armagh, northern ireland and i am sure that his daughters vitised these members, one was called elsie.  I am desperately trying to find out about him and when he died. Any information would be helpful. His sisters name was margaret devlin. there has been a bit of confusion over the surnames so i think he is under mcmanus but should be a cummings according to his birth records. his mothers name was alice devlin/cunmmings

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: mc manus family in scotland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 15:06 BST (UK) »
ps if u do have a mc manus relation or name in ur family somewhere down the line plz plz plx get in touch, it could be u im after lol

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
mc manus relations
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
hey guys im trying to do my family tree at the minute,  I am searching for a john mc manus born in county tyrone northern ireland 1900 to a woman called alice devlin/cummings, Im aware that john moved to scotland around 1911 as he is not with his mother in 1911 census of ireland, he died sometime around 1996 give or take few years. i also know he had a daughter called elsie mc manus.  I would be so grateful if i could get some info, even if its about where the mc manus name comes from as i know scotlands a big place

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: mc manus relations
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'd a quick look on scotlandspeople & think your John died in 1965 in Stirling.The clue to this being the correct death was,other name -Cummings.If you are not familiar with Scottish records you'll be pleasantly surprised with the amount of information given compared to English ones. If you need to see this certificate you will have to request a copy as it's too recent to view online. Hope this helps,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
hi wow 1965, on the record you found where did thecumming come into it????

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
I just looked at the index of deaths. I looked for all deaths of John Macmanus' born in 1900.There is a column for other name. This could be a maiden name or, if the deceased was illegitimate they may have gone under their mother's surname. The only way to be certain would be to see the actual entry. The prices are reasonable.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 20:02 BST (UK) »
wow i was under the impression that this man got married under the name mc manus and gave his children the namemc manus, but he is def a cummings, i have his birth record, why would he do this if he knew??? i cannot figure this out, thank u so much for finding this out, i reallyhope this ishim, but i still cannot findhim on scotlands 1911 census unless he isunder cummings??

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
Can you do a search without using his surname? Hopefully you'll find him that way!
Another thought, did he marry in Scotland? Have you seen his marriage certificate. If not, do you know the name of his wife? It should be easier to find her death if you know her maiden name. This would enable you to find out whereabouts they lived.
flst

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 May 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
i know he married in scotland but i haveno clue to whoorwhere. i know he had a daughter (*), but again i have been told she was a mc manus also. my relatives that would have known this are either deceasedor too old to remember

Moderator Comment: Name/birth too recent to be incuded here on RootsChat to protect people's privacy and identity.