Author Topic: Toronto streets, about 1840  (Read 27473 times)

Offline T. Michael Sommers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto streets, about 1840
« Reply #108 on: Saturday 04 August 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hey, you folks who know more about US resources than I do -- is there any chance of finding a death/burial for Robert Lockhart born Nov 1834 in "Canada (Eng)" (both parents born in Scotland), per the 1901 census when he is Robert H (Henderson?) Lockhart, a sexton living in ED 18 1st Precinct New Orleans city Ward 3, Orleans, Louisiana, United States?

I'd check the research guide for Louisiana on FamilySearch (assuming the guides still exist on the new site) to see what kind of records are available.  It varies from state to state, and even at that relatively late date there was still no civil registration in some  places.
Sommers, Ray, Glendenning, Ruppert, Codd, Carson, Benson, Schmidt, Sinnott, Walsh, Brown, Clazey, Carroll, Johnson, Buckheit, Heiser; Hitzelberger, Pamphilion

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Monday 06 August 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
A hypothesis is useful but occasionlly must be checked against the facts.  We still don't know names of the Lockhart children who lived at Lansingburgh during the relevant time.  When was the first census that showed names of all househod members?

In 1935, the Phillip Schuyler Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) at Troy, NY, documented all death and marriage records that were published in Troy newspapers between the years 1812-85.  No version of Clezie (Clazie, Clazey, Clazy, Clezy) and no version of Lockhart (Lochart, Lockart, Lockheart) - appears on that list.  Was there a separate newspaper for Lansingburgh back then? Were these families just transient, in the area briefly?  Were they too poor to publish newspaper announcements?  We don't know.

Does any similar list exist of births/baptisms in the Troy-Lansingburgh area during the 19th century?  Or would those only be recorded by individual churches of the time?

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline T. Michael Sommers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 06 August 12 19:50 BST (UK) »
When was the first census that showed names of all househod members?
Sommers, Ray, Glendenning, Ruppert, Codd, Carson, Benson, Schmidt, Sinnott, Walsh, Brown, Clazey, Carroll, Johnson, Buckheit, Heiser; Hitzelberger, Pamphilion

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 06 August 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
I notice you had a hypothesis, and were rather firmly wedded to it. ;)

The couple eloped from Toronto, days of difficult travel away to Troy, and took up residence on the symbolic Liberty Street, James finally free of his parents ... him then returning a year later to work with his father, wasn't that how it went?  ::)

The rest of the world isn't obligated to provide you with a proven case for anything. You were looking for help, and some people tried rather hard to provide it.

You're most welcome!

Oh, and we definitely do know the names of Lockhart children who lived in Rensselaer County (includes both Lansingburgh and Troy) at the relevant time.

As of 1850:
Robert Lockhart born 1834 Canada in the Cloyde household
Jane Lockhart (mistranscribed variously as Locklort and Tocklart) who subsequently married there
John Lockhart in the 1850 census with wife and children
Margaret Lockhart who subsequently married there
Mary Lockhart Dow, already married with children
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Monday 06 August 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Janey, it isn't necessary to turn every single post into a barbed confrontation.  This isn't a personal challenge to you or your worth as a human being.  No need to be defensive by tacking an insult onto every message.

The question is about the facts: one of the earlier posts in this long, long string said there were 4 daughters in the Lockhart family at Lansingburgh.  The 1850 census names only 2 males and 2 females in that household: presumably the parents, one daughter, one son.  Three daughters remain nameless - if that earlier information was correct.  Maybe it wasn't?  But if it was correct, can anyone suggest a means to discover names of those daughters?  For example,  what churches existed at Lansingburgh & Troy around 1840, and where can their records of baptisms, etc. be searched?  The Clezies were nominally Presbyterian but not devout.  What about Lockharts? The 1860 census, Cleveland, Ohio, said Ellen Lockhart/Clezie was born 1816 in Scotland.  What place in Scotland?  If the Lockharts were all born in Scotland, the likelihood is small of finding any useful record on this side of the Atlantic.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Monday 06 August 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Having been taught by someone who shall remain nameless,  it's always a good idea to Google for info.   ;)

I've just typed in Churches in Lansingburgh and quite a few hits have popped up.  Looks as though there were a whole bunch of them but, as the ages of the churches are given, you should be able to work your way through them quite easily. 

I would do more searching for you as I quite enjoy that sort of thing (am rubbish with census), but it's bedtime here in the UK. 

If someone has already suggested my very simple thoughts, then I apologise profusely but it's too late for me to trawl through 12 pages.

R.   

Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 06 August 12 23:00 BST (UK) »
When someone has been as dismissive as you have of the efforts made by others to help, trust me: I don't take it as a challenge to my worth as a human being, and I don't feel any need to be defensive.

The question is about the facts: one of the earlier posts in this long, long string said there were 4 daughters in the Lockhart family at Lansingburgh.  The 1850 census names only 2 males and 2 females in that household: presumably the parents, one daughter, one son.

I'm sorry, but I don't know what household you are talking about. There is no Lockhart family in Lansingburgh in the 1840 US census.

The 1850 census gives the names and personal details of everyone in a household.

The 1840 census gives only the head's name and categorizes the others according to sex and age.

The 1850 census has
- John Lockhart (1820 Scotland), wife Ellen, children William and Margaret in Lansingburgh
- Robert Lockhart (1834 Canada), mother Margaret Henderson Lockhart Cloyde, in Troy
- Mary Lockhart Dow (c1819 Scotland), mother Margaret Henderson Lockhart Cloyde, in Troy
- Jane Lockhart (1826 Scotland) in Troy
- William Lockhardt (c1827 Scotland) in Buffalo: same occupation as Robert and his Cloyd stepfather, and in 1860 in Shelby Tennessee where Robert is, and then in Chicago where much of the rest of the family is in 1870 and 1880

Just to add to those matched sets -- the widowed John Lockhart (c1820 Scotland) is in Chicago in 1880, and New Orleans in 1900 where Robert (c1834 Canada) is. They all go together. There is no question.

(Something I'm pondering: were John and Robert in Scotland for part of the intervening period? as there are coincidental events there: a John and a Robert who both married women named Orr in Glasgow and had children, and each had a child with middle name Henderson ...)

Obviously all these people are related: all children of Margaret Henderson Lockhart Cloyd and William Lockhart. And they are simply the only Lockharts in the vicinity of Rensselaer County by 1850.

I did mention the five children born in Renfrewshire to a William and Margaret Lockhart shown at scotlandspeople, and suggest you pay the minimal credits there to view those results and learn that Margaret's birth surname, to see whether the mother was Margaret Henderson, and the children are some of these children in NY state.

Meanwhile, you may be referring to the William Lockhard family in Cobleskill NY in 1840. The household members may not match up --

1840 census for William Lockhard in Cobleskill NY
Males
under 5    1 (?)
5-9          1 (could be Robert c1834 Canada)
10-14       1 (could be William c1826 Scotland)
30-39       1 (could be father William)
(with son John already flown)
Females
5-9          1 (?)
10-14       1 (could be Jane c1826 Scotland)
20-29       1 (could be Margaret)
30-39       1 (could be mother Margaret)
60-69       1 (a parent/in-law?)
(with daughter Ellen already flown - as an hypothesis - and daughter Mary marrying in Scotland in 1846)
-- but this may conflicts with the idea of Ellen marrying in Rensselaer County in 1840 -- except that James Clezie was apparently living in Rensselaer County and she may already have been. Otherwise, the family isn't a bad match for the Lockharts in Rensselaer County circa 1850.

But I don't believe anyone was asserting that this 1840 household was in fact the family of the Lockharts in Rensselaer County. It was an avenue to explore. Whether or not it seems to pan out, I can't imagine deciding not to investigate it.

But if it was correct, can anyone suggest a means to discover names of those daughters?  For example, what churches existed at Lansingburgh & Troy around 1840, and where can their records of baptisms, etc. be searched?

I guess we all left our magic wands at home. If anyone who had read this had the answer, they would probably have offered it. Meanwhile, we know that there were Lockharts married and baptised at the Presbyterian churches in Troy and Lansingburgh around 1850, in addition to Ellen:
- John married - his children baptised in the church where Ellen married
- Jane married - in the church where Ellen married
- Margaret married - in the Presbyterian church in Troy

The 1860 census, Cleveland, Ohio, said Ellen Lockhart/Clezie was born 1816 in Scotland.  What place in Scotland?  If the Lockharts were all born in Scotland, the likelihood is small of finding any useful record on this side of the Atlantic.

What place in Scotland indeed ... known only to readers who have chosen not to divulge the answer, I guess. The rest of us have just tried and failed.

William Lockhart and Margaret Henderson married in Paisley, Renfrewshire.
Several Lockhart couples can be seen baptising children in the area. There are no records for baptisms of children of William Lockhart and Margaret Henderson in Scotland at familysearch. Perhaps they moved to somewhere records are not accessible (note daughter Mary married in Glasgow), perhaps they didn't baptise their children, perhaps their children are the ones at scotlandspeople whose mother was Margaret Something.

NOTE: I have edited to add info above.

And I agree with royd ;) -- ask google!
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 17:40 BST (UK) »
Let's not pretend  we have just invented the wheel.  Google searches have been done by various people over time without definitive results; hence the questions are asked here.

There have always been - and remain - a variety of possibilities:  
(a) Ellen might be a daughter of the Lockharts from Lansingburgh
(b) she might be a recent immigrant unaccompanied by famiy
(c) she might be a young widow, original surname something else
(d) she might have met James in Toronto and eloped.

No scenario is inherently more probable than the others.  We can try out different hypotheses but evidence is being sought.

Offline royd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
Personally, I'm not aware that I had re-invented anything heiserca.  I was simply making an honest suggestion and was willing to help where I could. 

I even have some credits for Scotland's People which I was willing to share but, after all the help you've been given, and the doubts you have cast on it, I'm not sure what it's going to take to convince you of anything to be frank.

Sometimes we can't have 'absolute proof' of everything we want in this world.  Occasionally, we have to go by having faith in those who have greater insight, intuition and expertise than we have ourselves.

R.
Wests of West Wycombe.
Druces of High Wycombe
Cork(e)s of Kent
Goodwins of Kent
Taylors of Liverpool and Dysart
Truemans of Liverpool
Lavells of Ireland and Liverpool
McGowans of Scotland and Liverpool