Author Topic: James KILGOUR m. Harriet SMITH 1850  (Read 17632 times)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James KILGOUR m. Harriet SMITH 1850
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 05 July 12 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

ChristianaMcGillwrae/Kilgour was buried in Cheetham Hill Wesleyan Cemetery which has now been closed and I believe redeveloped.  The majority (20,000) of the burials were removed and reinterred in a mass grave in Bury and a few (25) were reinterred in Southern Cemetery.

As Crisane has already posted, the burial details are on Find My Past.

Have you already checked to see if any gravestones exist for the Kilgour burials at Manchester General Cemetery?  If not, let me know as we can help via the MGCTP project (our thread is stickied at the top of the Lancashire board).

Luzzu  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Babling Brook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 06 July 12 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Luzzu, that's brilliant,I've been waiting 2 years for that,I'll be going on FindMyPast later today and going off what crisane says she 's probably with her husband Peter who were the 2 that started our Kilgours in Manchester coming from Scotland.

I must say I feel a little starstruck,the famous Luzzu writing to me ! I've been following you,Can Can and the rest on the Moonfruit project..I have a Moonfruit link on my Ancestry Tree..and have a few people I'm sure are in there but I was waiting till it was complete seeing all the graft you've put in.

I joined Rootschat about the same time you started and I can remember thinking,brave people,Harpurhey was a decent working class neighbourhood but it's seen better days (I was born 50 yards from Queen's Park) but now with the new Academy and people like you it's gonna get even better.

Chris..a fan

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 06 July 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
Oooh, I don't know about being famous and definitely don't get starstruck.  We do it because it interests us and its sort of an extension of our interest in family and local history.

Rootschat is so successful because we all contribute a little and because there are so many of us, together we achieve tremendous results.  The MGCTP works the same way but on a much smaller scale.

Now, just heard back from Cancan regarding Non Conformist 2894.  Disappointing news - there was a gravestone originally but it hasn't survived.  It was vandalised and has subsequently being removed by the Council.

We've got a little bit of information on the ownership of the grave but I am going to send you a PM about this because its possible the owner is still alive so I won't post on here just to be on the safe side.

The other grave, Non Conformist 5420.  We haven't got a record of this one yet but it is in the area we are currently working in.  When the rain stops ... if it ever stops ... Cancan will check this out for you next time the group is working in the cemetery.

PS.  PM to follow soon - just want to double check something with Cancan as don't want to give you the wrong information.

PPS. Will PM Vimto too.

Post edited - correct information to follow below

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 06 July 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi All

On FindMyPast I think I may have found a school register entry for James KILGOUR (Parent or Guardian is given as Peter), who is likely to be the same James KILGOUR that went on to marry Harriet SMITH in 1850.

The admissions register is dated Sept 30 1830 and records James KILGOUR, aged 5 (a bit out on his birth date of 30 Jul 1823), at the start of his attendance at German Street Sunday School.

His address is entered as No. 5 German Street.

Regards

Vimto

Offline Vimto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 06 July 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
The Kilgour children registered at the German Street Sunday School that are the listed and have Peter as their parent are:

Margaret (aged 17) in October 1828;
James (aged 5) on 30 Sept 1830;
Ellen (aged 5) on 24 Apr 1831; and
William (aged 3) on 25 Aug 1833.

These all appear to tie up and the earliest, Margaret, registering in October 1828, gives a "no later than" date for Peter and Christiana's settlement in Manchester from Fife.

Vimto

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 06 July 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Right, re the burials at Manchester General Cemetery.  Sorry I posted the wrong information earlier.

Non Conformist 5420
John Kilgour buried 23 Nov 1922
There was a gravestone on this grave originally but it had been vandalised and was subsequently removed by the Council.  We do have a little bit of information about grave ownership which I will send by PM.

Non Conformist 2894
Christianna Kilgour buried 13 Jun 1866
Ann Kilgour buried 30 Apr 1887
John Kilgour buried 3 Feb 1900

There is no gravestone in existence and we have no information to suggest if there was one originally.

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 07 July 12 00:03 BST (UK) »
HO107/577 book 20 folio 9 page 12
Boslam Street, Manchester
Christine Kilgour 50 Widow Scotland   
Peter 20  Moulder Scotland   
James 15  Moulder Scotland   
Ellen 15 Lancashire   
William 12  Lancashire   
John7 Lancashire   
Joseph Duckworth 25 Piecer Lanc 
Christine  Duckworth 20 Weaver Scotland  (dau of Christine?) 
John 3 Lancs   
Jane 4 months 1  Lanc   

You know how you find things when you are looking for something else  ::) well ....

Jane Duckworth Rothwell born England circa 1841
died 25 Sept 1893
Fall River, Massachusetts
aged 52 years

Father: Joseph Duckworth, born England
Mother: Christina Kelgore (sic), born Scotland
Husband: Thomas Rothwell

Source:  Family Search

I believe this is Jane Duckworth who is aged 4 months on the 1841 census.

Luzzu

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 07 July 12 02:03 BST (UK) »
1841 HO107/577 book 20 folio 9 page 12
Boslam Street, Manchester
Christine Kilgour 50 Widow Scotland   Peter 20  Moulder  James 15  Moulder Ellen15    
William 12  John7     
Joseph Duckworth 25 Piecer Lanc  
Christine  Duckworth 20 Weaver Scotland  (dau of Christine?)  
John 3 Lancs  
Jane 4 months 1  Lanc   

Mucking about on familysearch.org brought up the death of a Jane Duckworth Rothwell in Fall River Mass 25 Sept 1893 from tuberculosis. Age 52 years 8 months 2 days. Father Joseph born England, mother Christina Kilgour born Scotland. Underneath her name it has Thomas Rothwell (husband?) Is she the one in bold in 1841 above?
There is also a death of a James McLoughlin father James mother Christina Kilgour Fall River Mass 1893. Found both whilst searching for Christina Klgour Scotland 1820.

Me too Luzzu ;)

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 07 July 12 11:03 BST (UK) »
I was looking for her Christina Kilgour/Duckworth's baptism when I found her daughter's death.  Strange it seems to be missing  ???.