Author Topic: "Papers Past" Updates Part II **complete**  (Read 23684 times)

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
"Papers Past" Updates Part II **complete**
« on: Tuesday 02 August 11 06:19 BST (UK) »
Wow we sure all love Papers Past  ;D
Have started a new thread, we had hit 21 pages  8) ;D :o

So keep up the posts and suggestions and questions for the team at PP, who drop in
Bye
althea

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
Re: "Papers Past" Updates Part II
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 07:26 BST (UK) »
Quote from: paperspast
Hi all - feel like a little diversion? Fancy putting your search skills to work? We've come up with a competition celebrating Papers Past's 2 millionth page - all entries go into the draw to win a Kobo e-book reader.

To enter, email us a link to a Papers Past article featuring your namesake (first name and/or last name and/or full name) - details here:
http://www.natlib.govt.nz/about-us/news/family-history-competition

Entries have started coming in already, I have to stay I've had an absolute blast reading some of the articles linked, there's been some great stuff dug up. We haven't put the details up on the PP site just yet, but I wanted to let you all know directly just in case you might want to enter.

Just thought it was worth adding this here for any who missed it - I blame the bee ;)

Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline newbe_nz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 10:06 BST (UK) »
Love the bee kiwi girl ;D
Purcell, - Limerick - Ireland,Australia, Westland, NZ
Coppell  - England 1734 to now, New Zealand - 1853 to now
Buckby - England, Australia, New Zealand - 1630 to now
Smith New Zealand
Parker -England - New Zealand  - 1800 to now
Lilley,Lillie, Lilly  - England -New Zealand - 1800 to now
Dykins - Wales, England, New Zealand -  1752 to now
Reynolds, England- 1800 to now
Newdick -Norfolk and Suffolk England , Australia, New Zealand - 1700 to now

Online spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Papers Past,

In reply#164 of the previous 'Papers Past' topic (page 16) I was asked which of the several newspapers named the 'Guardian' I was referring to when I requested that it be available online.

I have just received confirmation from Hokitika Museum that the full title was the Hokitika Guardian and Evening Star

By the way, the Hokitika Museum Archivist tells me that they hold issues of this newspaper up to 1940 on microfilm.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 11 02:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Papers Past,

I wondered if there are any plans to add the North Canterbury Gazette to the collection?

Regards
leandra
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 11 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Papers Past,

In reply#164 of the previous 'Papers Past' topic (page 16) I was asked which of the several newspapers named the 'Guardian' I was referring to when I requested that it be available online.

I have just received confirmation from Hokitika Museum that the full title was the Hokitika Guardian and Evening Star

By the way, the Hokitika Museum Archivist tells me that they hold issues of this newspaper up to 1940 on microfilm.

Spades

Hi Spades - thanks for the clarification, I'll pass this on, and great sleuthing!

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 11 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Papers Past,

I wondered if there are any plans to add the North Canterbury Gazette to the collection?

Regards
leandra

Hi Leandra -
At this stage there aren't - but we can investigate this. Preliminarily, I think a big hurdle might be copyright, due to the date range of the title. I'll raise this in our next selection meeting for you.

Thanks!

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 August 11 05:56 BST (UK) »
I know it's all, want, want, want....  but I'd love more ODT's maybe up to the 1960s.... or even later...  any chance?

Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 August 11 01:30 BST (UK) »
I know it's all, want, want, want....  but I'd love more ODT's maybe up to the 1960s.... or even later...  any chance?

In all honesty, probably not much chance unless there was some big movement in the area of copyright. I'll pass that on tho, you never know...