Author Topic: Kyle & Surgenor ,Portglenone ,Ballymena,Antrim  (Read 11702 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kyle & Surgenor ,Portglenone ,Ballymena,Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 October 12 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I have a record of the marriage of Willie SURGEONER to Martha Lamont in 1899 in Portglenone first Presbyterian Church. The fathers' names were Hugh Surgeoner and James Lamont.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline bisjam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 October 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
Yes thanks I have a lot of information on this family including all the marriages. Hope I can help if needed

Offline scotty35753

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
I discovered the website www.thebraid.com/genealogy.aspx to be helpful in finding headstone inscriptions from 42 historic graveyards in the Borough of Ballymena. There are several Kyles to be found. Regards Dianes
The Kyle's have been in Bracknamuckley for several generations.
The Co Antrim Portglenone family are all connected but from several generations back.
There are several family members on here researching various directions of origin without seemingly knowing they are related.
Would it be an idea to attempt to put the various bits of family info together.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I can advise that John Kyle was apparently still alive and his wife Elizabeth (Lizzie) Surgenor deceased, when their son, John Kyle married a  Sarah Rutherford in Scotland in 1896, so possibly is this John:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Lisnagarran/Bracknamuckley/940273/

I assume the siblings George and John moved to same area in Scotland (ie Lanarkshire) and therefore that George's wife was named Jessie Laughlin? It also seems a brother William moved there too, and married Sarah Rutherford's sister, Elizabeth Rutherford (looks to have been a second marriage for Elizabeth as she is also recorded under McLuckie). It further seems their brother James also spent time in Scotland, see http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,464342.0.html
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline BPB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 16:33 BST (UK) »
I am also researching Kyles in the area.  I noticed the following on the already mentioned www.thebraid.com;
Erected by James Kyle Bracknamuckley in memory of his father John Kyle also his mother Elizabeth Surgenor Kyle and his beloved wife Ellen Greer Kyle who died 27th July 1942 aged 76. Also the above named James Kyle Died 9th 1946 Aged 78 years.

The burial place is the Portglenone Church of Ireland.  No death dates for John and Elizabeth.

Offline rittrock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 May 13 21:49 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the plug!

"The Surgeoners, another grand old stock, had a Scottish origin...By industry, perseverance and laudable ambitions they always maintained themselves in a high rank"

- Robert Sibbett's "On The Shining Bann" might be out of date and out of print but it's a good read, with much detail on Portglenone history and familes. NIFHS (North of Ireland Family History Society) sell a CD version.

Offline Helen mcardle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 29 August 14 17:40 BST (UK) »
HI, I am the great-great-granddaughter of William Surgenor who was the brother of Lizzy Surgenor (Kyle). Bracknamuckly is in the Ballymena area.

Helen McArdle (Regan/Fullerton/Eagleson/Surgenor/Kyle)

Offline bisjam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 30 August 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen is that Willie surgenor who married martha Lamont. If so we are related. Martha was my great aunt

Offline Helen mcardle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 30 August 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi  my gr.gr.grandfather was William Surgenor married to Mary Kyle.  He is 70 on the 1901 census .He was born in1844.
I am only beginning to explore the family so I am not sure if he had a descendant called willie but
I do know that his granddaughter Lena eagleson married James Lamont Adair around 1912 his mother was Jane lamont and his father William John Adair
I would love to find a relative  :) hope this helps