Author Topic: Family Living in Dublin 1860-1900  (Read 20147 times)

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family Living in Dublin 1860-1900
« on: Monday 26 November 12 23:58 GMT (UK) »
I have Oliverium/Olevia Archbold and Maria Murphy living in Canal Street Dublin from their marriage in 1860 in Wexford to deaths in the middle of the 1890in Dublin. Two children Kate born around 1863 Dublin and Christopher born in 1872 Dublin. I am hoping there may by relatives out there or someone may have more information on them
Thank you
       Jeff

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Family Living in Dublin 1860-1900
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jeff,

welcome to RootsChat.

There appear to be marriages for daughters, Mary and Elizabeth, listed on the site at: www.irishgenealogy.ie

Oddly, one is in a catholic church and the other CofI.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dudley
 Thank you for the welcome.
 Oliver and Maria married 15 July 1850 Camolin Parish Wexford; I cannot take them down any further as I am told there is no record of the marriage. Only two children found Kate went on to marry James Rendell 1901 Dublin, Christopher is born 1872 then just disappears, with no census before 1901 I cannot build up a family. The two big problems are in their names Oliver Archbold nothing comes up on any web site, but if I enter Maria Murphy I get flooded with names.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dudley
Oliver and Maria married 15 July 1850 Camolin Parish Wexford; I cannot take them down any further as I am told there is no record of the marriage.

Unfortunately the marriage and baptism records for the RC parish of Camolin only go back to 1853, so just a little too late for that marriage.

The civil parish for Camolin town and townland is Toome, and there are two listings on Griffith's in the parish for the surname Archbold. A Mary Archbold with a large farm of about 100 acres in the townland of Ballinree, and an Edward Archbold with a house in the townland of Ballintrim.

see : Archbold, Toome, Co. Wexford

These returns are dated 1853.

I dont see any sign of any Archbold households in either of these townlands on the Tithe records, however there are four Arch[a]bold listings in Toome parish, showing possible agricultural connections -  James and the widow Archbald in 'Ballyshane' townland ( possibly an alternate name for Ballyshaun townland), and a John Archbald in Balinclare townland.

Arch*, Toome parish

The fourth mention of the Archbald name in this data for Toome parish is a John Archbold who is a signatory to the returns for the parish. see :

Declaration page

This section of the records seem to be dated 23rd Sept 1825.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Sorry wrong date 15 July 1860

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Sorry wrong date 15 July 1860

I was wondering - both 1850 and 1860 were mentioned..

then there should probably be a marriage record. However RC records for this timeframe do not usually give much detail - probably just the date, the names of the bride and groom and two witnesses.

There may also be residences given for the bride and groom, and sometimes the witness names can provide clues...

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Only two children found Kate went on to marry James Rendell 1901 Dublin, Christopher is born 1872 then just disappears, with no census before 1901 I cannot build up a family. The two big problems are in their names Oliver Archbold nothing comes up on any web site, but if I enter Maria Murphy I get flooded with names.

Hi Jeff,

I entered just Ol* Archbold and Dublin and 4 entries came up, two were much too early to be your family but one, due to the extra detail on the catholic records, appears to be a very strong match to you family.
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/harrington-street_mf_1865-1912_ma_0233.pdf

The other is CoI so gives different categories of info, but again seems likely.
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-545-3-4-100.pdf

Both these women appear in the 1901 census in Dublin so you can find ages and attempt to trace baptisms.  The one who married in a CoI church is reported as RC for the census, so greater likelihood of being same family.

If you only have a few documents relating to this family over this time period, is it possible that they belonged to St Paul's, Arran Quay, parish and so other children were baptised there (not included in this site)?  Or that they returned to Wexford for part of that period? Elizabeth, the strongest contender for your family, is reported as being born in Wexford, according to the 1901, if I have deciphered the curly hand-writing correctly.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline Superb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dudley and Shane
On the family search site LDS it has Oliver death as 1892 South Dublin and Maria/Mary death as 1899 South Dublin. It also has Christopher birth May 1872 in South Dublin  I have his birth cert ; Kate  was born around 1863 she is the only one I can find on the census she was living in Dublin in 1901 and gives her birth place as Dublin then married and moved to Devon. With the marriage of Oliver and Maria I was given that 12 years ago with the email address of the Parish priest. After a very short reply from him saying there is no record, further emails I have sent have not been returned. If I cannot find their parents I was hoping the witness to the marriage may help.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Records for the parish of Camolin are available in the National Library in Dublin on microfilm Pos. 4257

RootsIreland (pay-website) are gradually adding transcripts for Co. Wexford parishes, so might be worth keeping an eye on their source list for Camolin records.

Shane
My Surname Interests