Author Topic: german grandfather- Charles HERMAN  (Read 2537 times)

Offline alwyne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
german grandfather- Charles HERMAN
« on: Sunday 06 January 13 13:20 GMT (UK) »
first of all, hi to all as i am new to the site. I am having a problem tracing my grandfather who i did not know, he was Charles herman born in Berlin around 1872 and is listed in the 1901 and 1911 censuses living with my gran Agnes and their family in hull, York's.  I can only assume he was interned at the start of the first world war ?  i knew nothing about my dads side of the family as it was a bit taboo in those days i did not think my grandmother was married to Charles herman but they had six kids together including Mina who was born in 1911. I would like to continue and find out what happened to my grandad and his family. I have a clue to his parents names i think, because i remember as clear as yesterday i asked  where my first name came from (Alwyne) and she said after my g grandmother and i have found a Karl herman born1872 to Gustav herman and Ida Alwine herman. so that looks interesting. But it is connecting Charles to that record before i can move on  Regards  Alwyne

note the Herman name was changed to Anderson  i assume at the start of ww1, anderson was my grans maiden name or married name?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: german grandfather- Charles HERMAN
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
Mina Herman's mother is called Spencer on the birth registration  Dec ¼ 1911 Sculcoates.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alwyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 13 13:59 GMT (UK) »
thank you Stan, yes Spencer was my granmothers maiden name but i think she married a George Anderson before 1900 and then lived with Charles Herman  that's where the taboo bit came in then they must have changed Agnes and all the children to Anderson although i cannot remember my gran she was always reffered to as grandma  Andy  regards  Alwyne

Offline dave-the-rave

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 13 14:11 GMT (UK) »
george a aderson married doreen st c spencer 1916 hull
then 1917 had a daughter of the same name dave
willmore,clark,hedley

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 13 14:27 GMT (UK) »
but i think she married a George Anderson before 1900

The marriage of Agnes Mary Spencer to George Anderson was registered in Sculcoates Dec ¼ 1897

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alwyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 January 13 17:06 GMT (UK) »
That,s bang on Stan, Sculcoats was one of the main districts in hull in those years and i did some research some years ago and found a lot out but i thought i may have another go now i am retired.
I have tried searching the national archives for the internees records but i seem to get lost in the starting record numbers, are there any more sites of internees,  in my area i would have thought ? but maybe elsewhere? regards  Alwyne

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 16:36 GMT (UK) »
What information does the marriage certificate give regarding his father. I realise that he has changed his surname but has this affected the rest of the information on the marriage cert.  :-\

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alwyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie, There is no marriage certificate Charles was not married to Agnes that is why they were never mentioned within our family They were just living in sin. the records of who i think was his mother and father in Germany are only a guess on my part , but i just remembered the thing my mum said to me all those years ago. best regards  alwyne

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 18:33 GMT (UK) »
It's a shame you only know your ancestor's given name and not the other name(s) donated to him by his godparents.  If by any chance somebody has transcribed the Berlin church records where he was baptised it will be the first prefixed name (usually the witness' name) which will show up in the "search results" (unless things have changed since I used familysearch).

Most people who moved away from their family in those days usually gave their first two or four children the names of the parents they'd left behind.

Below is a webpage which gives Berlin information for the years set out. Maybe you will be lucky and find Carl/Karl's father in one of the address book directories.

http://adressbuch.zlb.de/searchResultAdressbuch.php?CatalogLayer=2&CatalogName=adre2007&CatalogCategory=adress&Count=&ImgId=113319
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke