Author Topic: Who, who, who's the funky Gibson  (Read 4826 times)

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
Who, who, who's the funky Gibson
« on: Sunday 05 June 05 15:57 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the bad pun :-\, and to the goodies for paraphrasing, (and any Gibsons who were teased at School in the 1970’s with the song) but I thought it might grab your attention. I was going to paraphrase Dickens “A tale of two Elspets”, which is probably more apt.

Anyway on to the problem, and hopefully someone reading this has the solution.
I am new to Genealogy, but I am enjoying it very much. One of my lines leads back to an Elspet Gibson, who in Aug 1773 married James Edmund (Edmont), banns proclaimed in Belhelvie (Elspet) & Ellon (James). I found what I believed was her birth OPR, July 1744 in Belhelvie. James and Elspet had 3 children I know of; Elspet 1776, Janet 1779 & Alexander 1781, all born in the parish of Foveran. So far so good,  :)but… ???
I contacted a lady on “Genes Reunited” who also had Elspet Gibson in her family tree.
Her Elspet had married another chap however. This I initially put down to her remarrying. However my GR friend put me in touch with her cousin. He very kindly did research and informed me that we are dealing with two different Elspets, but unfortunately we only have one birth OPR and one set of parents (Thomas Gibson & Margaret Aedie).
Their Elspet married John Gray in April 1761 banns proclaimed in Foveran (Elspet) & Ellon (John). John & Elspet had 4 children Thomas 1771, James 1774, George 1776 & Elspet 1779, all born in Belhelvie.

It is intriguing; we have one Elspet of the parish of Belhelvie having her children in Foveran, and the other Elspet of the parish of Foveran having her children in the parish of Belhelvie.
Thomas Gibson is a cautioner for James & Elspet’s proclamation. I don’t know if it would be likely if a “cautioner” would be a father, (or brother or uncle)?

I believe the two Elspets must be cousins, but how can we find the missing birth details/parents of the other Elspet?

Thank you,

Grothenwell

PS while I have your attention has anyone come across information on the origins of a John Frederick Grothenwell, a merchant seaman, who married Christian Mackie in 1820 Old Machar, Aberdeen? 

Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
Re: Who, who, who's the funky Gibson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 June 05 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On IGI there is an Elizabeth Gibson, born 23/05/1742 @ Belhelvie, daughter of George Gibson

Also showing :
Elspet Gipson and James Edmunt 08/08/1773 @ Ellon - note spelling of surnames

Elspet Gibson and James Edmond 26/08/1773 @ Belhelvie

Ysabeau
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 June 05 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ysabeau,

Once again thank you for your help!  :)

I suppose Elizabeth could be one of the Elspets?!?

The Elspet marrying James Edmond/Edmunt is "mine". The other Elspet marrying John Gray. Still to find out which is which, even if one of them is the Elizabeth you mention. ???

Good hunting,

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Gracam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 05 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Is there any link here to an Alexander GIBSON, b. in January 1851 in New Deer, Aberdeenshire?

Thanks

Gracam

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 October 05 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gracam,

Sorry I haven't traced any Gibson male lines further "forward" than where it ends on the female side with Elspet born in 1744 in Belhelvie. If that is "my" Elspet of course ???!?!

I see from the IGI that your Alexander's parents were Alex Gibson & Janet Gordon. If you get their marriage OPR you might get a bit further back.
If you get further back and move from New Deer to Belhelvie (not that far apart), or if there is anything else I can help with please get back in touch.

Best wishes & Good hunting,

Grothenwell
Caithness; Sutherland

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Here's some info from Foveran burials;
Edmond(t)
Elspet from Pitscaff,24 June 1800 lies amongst the strangers.
Elspet,sp.to Robert Dickie,Mains of Foveran,1st.Oct.1846,8th grave from North dyke,3rd row from East dyke.
Note:- Elspet Edmond md.Robert dickie,17 June 1810,Belhelvie.
There are gaps in the records.Here's an interesting snippet:- "From 12 June 1793 till 2 Oct.1794,there were 16 buried whose names are not inserted in the Register,because their relations refused to pay the tax to Government."
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Here  are some Gibsons:-
Anna,from Haterseat,Parish of Belhelvie,wife of William Smith 24 Mar.1782 in her husband's grave (note William Smith md.Anna Gibsone,31 Dec 1728.Foveran)
Isabel,from Old Mill,7 Jan.1776
Isabella,dg. of John & Janet Brands,Newburgh,17 Feb.1854 in her father's grave
Janet,from Newburgh,1st Jan.1795
John,from Newburgh,17 July 1849.
From the inscription on the headstone we find that John S.Gibson was a shipmaster from Newburgh.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for the lookup. Unfortunately nothing there that immediately springs out to help. If it's not to much trouble could you also look at the "other" angle and check for John & Elspet Gray's burial in Foveran?

Thanks for helping me and all the other rootschatters you help too :)

Grothenwell

PS any other people with suggestions on how to solve the mystery please do so, thanks.
Caithness; Sutherland

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 February 11 19:06 GMT (UK) »
 I have a Jean Gibson married into my laidlaw family but no idea who her parents are

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet