Author Topic: "Spring Gardens" Little Marlow ... Rose Family  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Tavy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Spring Gardens" Little Marlow ... Rose Family
« on: Thursday 02 May 13 22:25 BST (UK) »
Mary Rose (abt 1826) possibly daughter of John and Ann Rose (both abt 1802) Spring Gardens/Little Marlow. John was a gardener. Mary was not with her family the day of 1841 Census ... she was "possibly" either with Price family (maid) for Jane Price b 1808 in Dean St, Marlow
or
with many others of a similar age at High Street/Castle Inn (next to Windsor Palace)
Mary Rose
Civil parish: New Windsor
Registration district: Windsor

1. Would I be correct to assume these young people at Castle Inn, Windsor may be working at Windsor Castle. Can you go there and see archives?
2. What happened to Spring Gardens ... was it a "garden" ... is there any history about it. It no longer seems to exist.
3. has anyone researched this family.

Mary married in William Willoughby in 1848 and came to Australia in 1849. She "disappeared" after 1866 ... no DC ... no clues.

Thanks
Tavy

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: "Spring Gardens" Little Marlow ... Rose Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 May 13 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can't help with your questions about the young people in Windsor, only to say that you can write to the Archivist at Windsor Castle to ask if Mary shows up in any records. I did the same for one of my ancestors but, unfortunately, nothing showed up as they didn't tend to keep records for casual workers. I'd recommend enclosing a sae but would also try to establish first if that Mary really is yours. Perhaps the Jane Price you mention from the 1841 census was a relative?

I have a Bucks FHS CD of Little Marlow parish records. There is a baptism for a Mary Ann Rose on 29 Aug 1824 (born 8 Aug) d/o John, a labourer, and Ann Rose of Westhorpe. There is a modern day Westhorpe Road between Little Marlow and Great Marlow.

John Rose bachelor otp married Ann Harman spinster otp in L Marlow on 22 July 1821. Both made their marks. The witnesses were: William Moore and Mary Ann Moore, both also made their marks.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 May 13 15:47 BST (UK) »
Family Search has a Jane Harmon marrying James Price in West Wycombe (about 6 miles north of Little Marlow) 15 Oct 1825. Could this be the couple you found Mary Rose with on the 1841 census?

Back in the Little Marlow PRs there is a baptism for Jane Harman 2 Nov 1805 d/o Robert & Ann.

There is a Nancy Harman d/o Robert & Ann baptised on 24 Apr 1803. Nancy is a familiar form of Ann. They may very well be sisters and could prove the right Mary Rose is the one in Marlow in 1841 and not the one in Windsor.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Tavy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 May 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
Big thanks, will reply soon.

Offline Tavy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 May 13 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,
Wonderful help and having the Bucks FHS CD. Would you be able to check if Mary Rose 1824 had older siblings James born 1822 and Emma 1823 and a younger sister Elizabeth 1827 as this is the family I think she belongs. There are about 6 other younger children but if we established 2 or 3 that would be proof enough. Can you tell me what "opt" means on the marriage info.
Thanks
Tavy

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 May 13 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Tavy,

otp = of this parish.

Emma born 18 Jun 1821 and baptised 29 Jul 1821 bastard daughter of Ann Harmond & John Rose reputed father of Little Marlow, labourer. (so, born before John and Ann married but baptised after!).

James born Feb 1823 (no exact date given) & baptised 9 Mar 1823 s/o John & Ann Rose of The Fearn, labourer.

William baptised 28 May 1826 s/o John & Ann Rose of Westhorpe, labourer

Elizabeth baptised 23 Nov 1828 d/o John & Ann Rose of Spring Gardens, labourer.

You're right - there appear to be a few more.

Coincidentally, there was another query on here about the Rose family of Little Marlow yesterday - I think involving Charles who was another child of John & Ann, but there are a lot of Roses in L Marlow so they may not be directly connected. Anyway, this is the link to that other thread if you want to make contact with them:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,645813.0.html

Jill

HELP!!!

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 May 13 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Tavy

Don't have any info on the ROSE family but do have a little on Spring Gardens.  This was an area of Little Marlow on its eastern boundary with the parish of Wooburn.  It was part of an area known as Well End which is nowadays part of Bourne End.  The area has now been built on but was once home to gardens and watercress beds.  If you put 'Cressington Place, Bourne End' into Google Maps you will find another road called Spring Gardens to the north of the A4155 Marlow Road.  Although there is only the one road called Spring Gardens now at one time the whole area, both north and south of the Marlow Road, was known as Spring Gardens.
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire