Author Topic: Howe family from Brightlingsea Essex  (Read 2294 times)

Offline genie22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Howe family from Brightlingsea Essex
« on: Saturday 29 June 13 16:58 BST (UK) »
My great uncle was the last in line of my Howe family, he died in Brightlingsea in 2010. His Father was Clifford Howe and Grandfather was Benjamin Howe. Looking for more information on Cants, French, Gould, families and more on the Howe's

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Howe family from Brightlingsea Essex
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 June 13 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looking for more information on Cants, French, Gould, families and more on the Howe's

You need to give more info on these families so we know which particular ones are yours.  Also - it may be better to raise separate posts for the other names as it can get a bit confusing having too many names on the one thread

Re: Clifford Howe.  If he is the one born 1876 Brightlingsea you will find him on the 1881 census

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQZJ-RX9

And here's the 1871 entry

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFFY-TF5

In 1891, Benjamin is a widower and there is one additional child - Eva aged 9 b Brightlingsea
RG12 Piece 1404 Folio 90 Page 8

Clifford does not appear on the 1901 - he was probably ast sea as a later census shows his occ as seaman
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sjgold

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 March 14 19:43 GMT (UK) »
If the French's you have any knowledge of included Mark French, born 1 July 1850, sea captain, son of Joseph French, then we may have some information. Many of these Frenches worshipped at the New Jerusalem Church (Swedenborgians) in Queen St Brightlingsea, so there may be some connection there.

Hope this helps, Stephen G., Mark's great-grandson.

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 May 14 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Are you still there genie22? It seems you haven't been online since last year but I'll give it a go anyway.
I have been away from Rootschat for ages and have just been trawling through old posts. I have quite a lot of information on the Howe, Cant, French lines which I am very happy to share. Benjamin Howe was my 2 x great grandfather, Clarence my great grandfather - he spent most of his adult life living in the North of Scotland, having married a girl from Nairn.

If you are still around and interested, just give me a shout and I'll try to be helpful.

Jen :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline genie22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 August 14 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, haven't been on this site for a while I am still interested in more of my family history. Clarence was my great grandfathers brother. I used to go to and stay with family in Brightlingsea at the family home in Sydney street. My great grandfather Clifford died in 1965 I have a copy of a story he had printed about his life at sea and other family items, inc so many photos which I found when clearing the last family home which was in tower street. I would be grateful for any info especially the suicide which until i saw a post on here was not aware. Kind regards Lynn