Author Topic: middle name research  (Read 14106 times)

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Krissy always in the clouds
    • View Profile
middle name research
« on: Tuesday 14 June 05 17:53 BST (UK) »
hi there can anyone suggest any sites that help with middle names , i know in scotland the middle name came from somewhere in the family and am trying to track james glen dewar,so could really do with some help on this one
thankyou all
krissy
jefferis, jefferies, harding, dewar.drummond, waterfield,wright

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: middle name research
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 18:10 BST (UK) »
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Krissy,

Any luck with finding your elusive James Glen Dewar?

Why not post as much (or as little) info you have on him and see if anyone comes back with more. More often than not, the middle name was the mother's maiden name but there were no hard and fast rules.

Anne (in Stirlingshire)

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 23:42 BST (UK) »
hi there
no no luck yet but thanks for the replies tried the igi but just my luck the site is not working it threw up a few names but none that helped but i will keep digging
krissy

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 05 23:30 BST (UK) »
26 Nov 1869    Henry Glen DEWAR   Birth
25 Oct 1871    John Glen DEWAR   Birth

19 Jul 1829    Henry Glen DEWAR   M Marriage
12 Nov 1852    Margaret Glen DEWAR   F Marriage

These were the only references I could find to Glen Dewar's in Lanarkshire

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 15:20 BST (UK) »
thanks falkryn
i had found these but am trying to search backwards now ie their parents etc im sure this will lead me to my james glen dewar eventually
krissy

Offline joyweave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 21:12 BST (UK) »
I know it's been a long time since these messages were posted, so I don't know what you've learned since, but I think the John Glen Dewar mentioned may have been the son of John Glen Dewar and Harriet McDonald of Glasgow (see 1871 census).  The children of this couple were orphaned before 1881 and came to Canada as Home Children.  If you think this relates to the family you are looking for, I have more information.  John's (probable) sisters, Etta (Harriet) and Mary were taken in by my husband's great-great-grandmother's sister and her husband and there was also a brother named  Alexander.

Offline krissy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 July 08 20:48 BST (UK) »
hi joy,
sorry havent been around for a while holidays , work etc never stops eh? well thankyou for your reply and to be honest i am open to all possibilities with this family, my grt grt grt grt grandfather came down from the sterling area , but we have really no real idea who he was related to, we think we have found a match for parents ! but the name glen dewar was given to all the boys so we seem to think it was a family name but could never find anything so it would be interesting to know more , i look forward to seeing what you have and maybe it will connect with what we know for sure
many thanks for posting after all this time
krissy

Offline joyweave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 July 08 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Krissy,
There are actually two John Glen Dewars I've come across in North America.  The first is the one b. 25 OCT 1871      Central District, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland to JOHN GLEN DEWAR    and HARRIET MCDONALD (per register of Scottish births listed at LDS site).  He is the one who was the brother of two girls taken in by my husband's g-g-uncle and aunt, George and Florence (Brown) Elder, who lived in Williamstown, Glengarry, Ontario.  The Dewar family is in the 1871 census with Alexander, age 2 and Mary, age 4.  By 1881, Mary and younger sister, Ettie (Harriet/Etta) are at Govan House orphanage in Glasgow and Alex and John are at Mossbank Industrial School in Glasgow. Mary and Etta were among the Home Children sent to Canada in 1881 and Alex was sent there in 1885.  I don't know when or whether John came as well.  Mary married at Williamstown in 1887, naming the above parents and Etta is with the Elders in the 1901 census.  I don't know if they also took in Alex or John.
There was another John Glen Dewar who I thought was the same person, but his dob doesn't work.  He's b. 20 July 1877 or 1879, depending on source, and turns up in Montreal in 1901 census, then in Chicago in 1910 and the Pittsburgh area from 1920 onward.  There's a John Dewar, age 3 who came as a Home Child in 1884, so maybe that's who this one is.
While looking for the name, I also saw a John Glen Dewar in a census in England, but didn't take down the specifics.
I hope that helps some.
Joy