Author Topic: Possible WETHERED family headstones on Tenerife  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Possible WETHERED family headstones on Tenerife
« on: Tuesday 10 August 04 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi. Everyone,
I am interested in trying to discover the existence of possibly 3 WETHERED family gravestones on the island of Tenerife in the Canaries.  My great-grandmother's father-in-law Owen Peel Wethered built a substantial villa called El Robado in the Puerto de la Cruz area, started in 1887; it still stands, if somewhat reduced and modified now.  The family were then a wealthy brewing family from Bucks, England, and Owen Peel Wethered was also one of the main contributors towards the building of an Anglican Church and rectory in Parque Taoro nearby.  The villa El Robado became their holiday home in the sun, and was built at the start of the era when Tenerife became a winter tourist destination for the British amongst others.
However, Owen Peel Wethered (d.1908), and two of his sons, Thomas Arthur Wethered (d.1906), and Francis Owen Wethered (d.1922) all succumbed to TB on the island, and so I believe are buried there, possibly in the Anglican church graveyard.
Do I need to check burial records with the Spanish authorities, or is there a database somewhere else that I could study.  Of course, if there is anyone associated with Rootschat who just happens to be on holiday in the Puerto de la Cruz of Tenerife, has a digital camera at the ready, and stumbles across headstones bearing the Wethered family name in a far-distant Anglican Churchyard, I would of course be delighted to hear from you!
Very best wishes,
Keith Sherwood (living in Cambridge, England)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible WETHERED family headstones on Tenerife
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 14:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry,
I've just read through my recent posting and realised that Thomas Arthur Wethered's date of death was 1903, not 1906,
Keith Sherwood

Offline fletcherhist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 February 10 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I hope you are still around. I can't help you with the gravestones in Teneriffe but you may be interested in some of the Ellison family of Wokingham. Owen Peel Wethered married one of them.

Cheers

Fletcherhist

Offline Adriennek-e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 December 11 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Please see http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=82071223 for grave of Owen Peel Wethered

Offline Adriennek-e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 December 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 March 12 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Adriennek-e,
So sorry, have only just noticed these lovely images of the gravestones of Owen Peel WETHERED and his son Thomas Arthur that you posted on here just before Christmas.
Thanks very much for those.  My gt-grandma Annie Laura WETHERED remarried in 1906, and is buried in Lynton in Devon, England as Annie Laura Leila NOTT, d.1941, after never having recovered from being hit by the blast of a German bomb in Brighton where she then lived, in July 1940...
regards, keith

Offline Adriennek-e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 March 12 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Better late than never eh...?

If you have any portraits you'd like to upload to those pages please feel free - though I would appreciate knowing that they're there. Any more info you'd like me to include - just drop me a line.  My email address is on my findagrave profile page.