Author Topic: MARSHALL Macosquin  (Read 4789 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MARSHALL Macosquin
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 June 06 21:09 BST (UK) »
Susan- took a run to Macsoquin tonight after tea and found quite a few Marshalls buried at Englishtown (Macosquin Presbyterian Church), including Thomas:
"Erected by John Marshall of Crossgar in memory of his beloved wife Mary who died 5th Jany 1885 aged 70 years. Also their daughter Margaret who died 25th September 1863 aged 17 years. Buried in Paisley Cemetery. Also their son Thomas who died 28th Decr 1874 aged 38 years. Buried at sea. Also their son William John who died in Australia on the 18th October 1895 aged 57 years. The above John Marshall died 4th Novr, 1899 aged 86 years. And they shall be mine saeth the Lord of hosts in that day when I make up my jewels. Malachi III.17.

Very strange that Thomas was buried at sea! Could he still be connected?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 June 06 19:43 BST (UK) »
You are so kind to have done that.   :D

I think it is highly likely that there will be a connection since they are obviously from the same area, and especially because the names George, William and John also appear among my Thomas' children.  Perhaps this John and my Thomas' John were cousins.  My Thomas was a seaman but definately didn't die at sea - in fact he lived to be 83!  I wonder if Thomas was on his way to Australia with William and died on the way?

At least this information that you have found on the headstone categorically rules out the 1837 baptism being for my Thomas - this is a step forward really as it means I don't need to spend time and resources on him and can concentrate on finding another Thomas baptism.  The IGI only comes up with this one though so I may have to put him on a back burner for a while.

Thank you again for taking the time and effort to check this out for me.  I live in Catterick in North Yorkshire and if I can return the favour ever just shout.  :D

Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline betty53

• Email address not working please contact support for Help
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 July 07 15:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Susan

please look at the conversation called Elizabeth Thompson.  I am researching my family history which might/might not have a connection with Elizabeth Marshall of Limavady whose father was called John.  I believe there is a Thomas in there somewhere.  John had a large family and one of his sons went to Ohio (Hugh) where his descendant Phillip Marshall is now busy looking for relatives from Limavady (about 12 miles from Coleraine).

Regards
Betty McNerlin

Offline SooCatt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Norman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 July 07 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty
Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm always on the lookout for Marshall connections.  My Thomas is much earlier than the one mentioned in the thread but there may well be a connection to the family.  I will have to dog further.
Thanks again
Susan
Crampton, Cook,  Bell, Pinkney, Curry, Duffey, Marshall, Smurthwaite, Urwin - Durham/North Yorks
Harrison - Northumberland
Rowland, Nicholson, Sneaton - Whitby
Athey, Ball, Lamb, Handley, Rymer, Duffey, Pool, Stringer, Wilkinson, Varley - West Yorks
Fisher - Essex

Cencus information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline brenbrooks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan
When searching I stumbled over extensive information about the Marshalls, including John Marshall 1818-1902 born in Ulgham, Northumberland and married Isabella Murton Hutchinson 1841, several children including Thomas 1845-1885 who married Jane Rowell etc., if you search: "Dykes-Peckett Family History"    "James Marshall 1752".
I believe I am a decendant of Judith Marshall nee Kirsop.
Good luck, Brenda Brooks nee Marshall  (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan
When searching I stumbled over extensive information about the Marshalls, including John Marshall 1818-1902 born in Ulgham, Northumberland and married Isabella Murton Hutchinson 1841...

Not sure that there would be a connection. The Marshalls Susan was looking for were from County Londonderry and her branch went to England much later than the family you've mentioned. Susan hasn't logged into Rootschat for ober a year but perhaps she will eventually see your message.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 09:36 BST (UK) »
Since Susan started this thread many years ago lots of new resources have been made available online. I still feel that her Thomas Marshall, seaman, was the one mentioned as died at sea on headstone in Macosquin Presbyterian Churchyard.

"Administration (with the Will) of the personal estate of John Marshall late of Crossgar County Londonderry Retired Publication who died 4 November 1897 granted at Londonderry to Helen Allen of Castleroe said County a Married Woman the Residuary Legatee. Will dated 13 Nov.1896." Will dates 1896 with codicil 1897. Note: John Marshall died 1897 not 1899 as on heastone. See www.proni.co.uk to read Will.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 11:15 BST (UK) »
Susan- if you do see this topic again:

The 1861 Scottish census confirms that Thomas Marshall (listed on the gravestone I checked years ago) was a seaman and, based on additional Scottish records, I am convinced that he is your Thomas Marshall (d.1927 England). It may be that he was reported lost at sea 1874 but for some reason did not contact his family afterwards. (the first date mentioned on stone is 1885 so was erected sometime after that date).

Have more details if you are interested.