Author Topic: Richard Leon WECHT  (Read 1446 times)

Offline GregoryUK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Leon WECHT
« on: Tuesday 04 January 11 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hey everyone!

I am grappling with a little theory of mine and would like some input. In a line I am tracing I have a Richard R Wackett born in Hertford in 1757. His father is recorded as a 'Richard Leon Wecht' born 1743 with no place of birth given. The issue I have is that is the name Wecht or is that a misspelling of Wackett? I know that  spelling on records was inaccurate or perhaps varied but still I can't help but wonder is Wackett a purposeful distortion or misspelling of the German name Wecht or vice versa.

In addition how common is the name 'Leon' among English people in this period? When I first saw this name it made me think of European naming patterns or schemes and it didn't sound quite 'English' to me.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Offline alimag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Leon Wecht
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Found richard wackett christened 29 may 1757 cheshunt hertford father richard wackett  mother mary there are other children  also richard wackett and sarah with children. thats on family search record search. on ancestry found richard wackett marriage to elizabeth cook 22 apr 1778 westminster middlesex  and a richard wackett marriage to mary clark 3 nov 1783 city of london. hope its of some help.

regards alan