Author Topic: Richard Bush Skillern  (Read 1605 times)

Offline thomasina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Bush Skillern
« on: Friday 31 December 10 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have found Richard Bush Skillern in my tree born 1795 GREAT HORMEAD,HERTFORD,ENGLAND, died 1849 Surrey, England. He married Elizabeth Flather Robertson in 1818 I have no birth date for her (yet) I have found some recordings at the Old Bailey London that he may of been a policeman. I have tried to find if this is the same person any help please
many thanks jean

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Bush Skillern
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 December 10 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Burials
13th May 1849 St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey 
Richard Bush Skillern aged 54, Richardson Street

His death certificate would give his occupation at the time of his death.

19th July 1849 St Mary Magdalene Bermondsey 
Elizabeth Flather Skillern aged 40, Richardson Street 

Baptisms
13th June 1819 St Botolph without Aldersgate born 18th May
Mary Hillier Skillern  parents Richard Bush Skillern and Elizabeth Flather Skillern, Monkwell Street, father's occupation saddler

24th September 1820 St George in the East born 29th August
Eleanor Skillern parents Richd Bush Skillern and Elizth Flather Skillern, Ratcliffe Highway, father's occuaption saddler   

10th February 1822 St George in the East born 17th January
John William Skillern parents  Richard Bush Skillern and Elizabeth Flather Skillern, Ratcliffe Highway, father's occupation saddler

14th September 1823 St George in the East born 14th August
Elizabeth Jane Skillern  parents Richard Bush Skillern and Elizabeth Flather Skillern, Ratcliffe Highway, father's occupation saddler

13th June 1827 St George in the East born 19th May
Richard Skillern parents Richd Bush Skillern and Elizabeth Flather Skillern, Ratcliffe Highway, father's occuaption saddler

Possible 1841 census entry

HO107 1085/1 folio 17
Chapel Court St George the Martyr Southwark Surrey
Richard Shilben 45  Saddler
Elizabeth Shilben 40
John Shilben 14
Richard Shilben 10
Elizabeth Shilben 18
Amelia Shilben 15
all born in county (the yes to this question can be unreliable on the 1841 census)
adult ages, those over 15, usually rounded down to the nearest 5 on the 1841 census

Marriages
9th April 1860
St Mary, Spital Square
John Skillern 28 Bachelor Smith 3 ?yard Street St Lukes Richd Bush Skillern Saddler
Margant Maguire 24 Spinster 3 /Yard Street St Lukes Bryan Maguire Smith
Both signed
Witnesses Bryan Maguire and Ann? Juxow? 

St Mary Spital Square 4th January 1866
Jonathan Benjamin Mann 40 Bachelor Smith 2 Hope Place Jonathan Mann Cabinet maker
Elizabeth Jane Skillern 36 Spinster 2 Hope Place Richard Bush Skillern Publican   
Jonathan Benjamin made his mark
Witnesses James and Mary Mann

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline thomasina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 January 11 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for finding all this, will check and update when done.
Happy New Year to you
Regards Jean

Offline glennlevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 December 21 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi don't know how long ago you posted re Richard Bush Skillern, he was my Great Grand Uncle, his father was my 4th Great Grandfather. On my family tree i have lots of info regarding the Skillern family Glenn_Levens Family Tree if you want a squiz. Elizabeth was born in London 1798 will look deeper. This is part of his story....This is a bio pic of Richard Bush Skillern was born in Gt. Hormead Hertfordshire in 1795 (27th Nov) the son of Charles Skillern and Mary Bush. He was a very colourful character rising to the top of his profession in which he was both respected and industrious however somewhere along the way he lost control of his morals resulting not only his dismissal, debt and imprisonment but also loss of his power and respectability. Skillerns downfall was spectacular as he was one of the central figures in a corruption scandal involving the extortion of money from publicans and Coffee shop owners in Southwark between 1831-1833. He was bankrupted twice in 1833 when he lost his job. He was sent to prison in 1843 for stealing a handkerchief. Such a fall from grace.
Glenn Levens