Author Topic: Re: George Lisle Completed with many thanks  (Read 13703 times)

Offline pob198

• RootsChat Extra
  • Maggie Storey 1869-1957
    • View Profile
Re: George Lisle Completed with many thanks
« on: Sunday 19 September 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Don't know if anyone can help  but I am trying to find evidence of the birth of George Lisle b1790/1
d. 1848. His marriage to Alice Armstrong Tynemouth 26 Dec 1813 states that he is of the "Parish of Woodhorn".
Date of birth is taken from his gravestone, age given as 57 at time of death in 1848, plenty of other Lisle's around but not the one I am looking for.

Many Thanks
POB
Obrien/Ash, Ireland
Williamson,Crieff & Co Durham
Frizell, Co Durham
Stocks,Storey & Lisle Cullercoats and beyond

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: George Lisle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 September 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi POB

I've just looked on Durham Bishop's transcripts but alas the years 1789-1791 seem to be missing.  There is however a baptism recorded in Woodhorn to parents John and Frances Lisle in 1788 so the family could be there.

Where have you looked so far?

Christine

Offline pob198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 September 10 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Christine,
I should have said that I have spent the afternoon looking at practically all of  the Durham Bishop's transcripts for;
Doddington
Newbiggin
Woodhorn
Felton and Ford
Lisle's in all of these places but unfortunately not mine.
Don't know where to try next?

Pauline
Obrien/Ash, Ireland
Frizell, Co Durham

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 10 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline

The very years you think you need are missing from the bishops transcripts - there are gaps in most of them.  So he could be in Woodhorn 1790 and you won't see him.

If you can wait till Wednesday I can check out that gap to see if he is there.

The other stumbling block is that the marriage records does not necessarily refer to place of birth but to place of residence at the time of the marriage but let's see if we can find him in Woodhorn before we get defeatist  ;D

Christine

Offline pob198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 10 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help Christine,

George Lisle was one of seven men drowned at the Haven at Tyemouth (well documented) along with his two sons George 34, Robert 24 and his brother Robert was 50 at the time of his death. The family are all in Cullercoats up to Geo Lisle and Tynemouth Parish was the first place I looked. It doesn't help when they are all called George or Robert.
Newbiggin is a possible place of birth as I recall my father once saying that he had Newbiggin connections (hope I haven't made that up).

In the meantime I will re check what I can

Pauline
(hope I haven't sent this message twice as the first disappeared)
Obrien/Ash, Ireland
Frizell, Co Durham

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 September 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
The only one I can find in your time frame was over in Wolsingham Durham ,George son of John and Ann ,17th April 1791,

I think you have probably checked this one out,?
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline pob198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 September 10 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Thanks for checking and yes you're right  I had already checked it out. I have just found a record for his brother re Newbiggin so it looks like Christine is right and he is in the missing transcripts.

Thanks again for trying
Pauline
Obrien/Ash, Ireland
Frizell, Co Durham

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 September 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Pauline,

Although this doesn't help to find George Lisle, I think he is one of the Newbiggin Lisles.

My paternal grandma's family, the Storey's, were a fishing family from Newbiggin. As I went back through the generation and found out who married who, I discovered that every fisher family married into another fishing family. My tree soon turned into a town! I know I have some Lisle connections through marriage in my tree.  So it's quite possible we are related. I know some of my lot have Lisle as a middle name. I'll see if I have anything that is of use to you.

Thanks

pckl
LESLIE, McLEAN, CARROLL, RICHMOND, GALLIGAN, DUFFY, McCOMBS, ARCHIBALD, DYKES
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS
HARBERTSON, TAYLOR, SHARP, ERRINGTON, RIDDLE, HINDMARCH/HYMAS

Offline pob198

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 September 10 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hi pckl,

I am actually from Cullercoats where my family lines are Stocks,  Lisle and Storey all have been a nightmare to trace
as all branches of each family carry the same forenames. I suppose if I make any mistakes I Will have the consolation that they will still be relatives. Don't know if I can be of any help with the Storey's, but thanks for getting in touch and the offer of help. I did think that George Lisle was the son of Robert Lisle and Jane Robinson m1790 but without his birth record I can't be sure.

Many Regards
Pauline
Obrien/Ash, Ireland
Frizell, Co Durham