Author Topic: 1908 Scotland v England football cap help please  (Read 4919 times)

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1908 Scotland v England football cap help please
« on: Wednesday 09 June 10 00:22 BST (UK) »
Can anyone advise me as to how to track down the person this cap was awarded to? To my knowledge it has been handed down the family and that he was a Scotland player but Ive nobody to ask who it belonged to and really dont know what to do. I think ive found the team for this match but none of the names ring a bell and ive no idea wether they were given to players who took part in the match or the whole team. this is the team i came up with

Apr 4, 1908 Scotland 1 v England 1

SCOTLAND: McBride P(Preston North End), McNair(Celtic), Sharp J(Woolwich Arsenal), Aitken A(Middlesbrough), Thomson C(I)(Heart of Midlothian), May(Rangers), Howie J(Newcastle United), Walker R(Heart of Midlothian), Wilson A(I)(Sheffield Wednesday), White W(Bolton Wanderers), Quinn J(Celtic).

ENGLAND: Hardy, S.(Liverpool), Crompton, R.(Blackburn Rovers), Pennington, J.(West Bromwich Albion), Warren, B.(Derby County), Wedlock, W. J.(Bristol City), Lintott, E. H.(Queen's Park Rangers), Rutherford, J.(Newcastle United), Woodward, V. J.(Tottenham Hotspur), Hilsdon, G. R.(Chelsea), Windridge, J. E.(Chelsea), Bridgett, A.(Sunderland).

any advice would be great, Laura
One name study of Chippindale, Chippendale, Chippingdale & any other variant in the UK

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1908 Scotland v England football cap help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 00:38 BST (UK) »
here it is...
One name study of Chippindale, Chippendale, Chippingdale & any other variant in the UK

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

It may be worth trying the Scottish Football Museum.  They have a great reputation for being knowledgeable and helpful and may be able to point you in the right direction:

http://www.scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk/index.cfm?curpageid=335
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
I'd try contacting the Scottish Football Association (SFA) museum at Hampden.  The website, with contact details, is www.scottishfootballmuseum.org.uk.  They will probably be able to advise you on how caps were awarded. 

Offline Archivos

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Work is the curse of the drinking classes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 10:40 BST (UK) »
Great minds and all that!

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you both Ill give them a try and fingers crossed theyll be able to tell me more.

Laura

right mail sent so fingers crossed

Offline skyblue_scarlet

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 June 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Got my reply...

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your enquiry but I am afraid we can not provide much in the way of information.
The date of the game and the score you have quoted are correct and the team lists are also correct.  With regard to your suggestion about being a sub, this would not be possible as substitutes were not introduced to the game until 1967.  Caps would only be presented to players who actually took part in the game. 

I do not know if you came across the team lists along with the cap or if you researched this yourself based on the date of the cap.  The reason I am questioning this is that it may not be a full international cap but could possibly be for a junior international.

I am sorry I can not be of further assistance but if you can provide any further information we would certainly try to help.

Yours in football

Bruce Gilmour

Scottish Football Museum
Hampden Park

Ive not even seen a junior line up online, ive replied to ask if he knows but im not holding my breath... where on earth will i find that out??? lol :-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 14 June 10 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura

I've just seen this posting. We have a few Welsh caps in our family but I'm lucky enough to know where they came from.

I think that the only thing that you can do is to work out,  person by person, who it came from starting with the last known owner. It might take quite some time.

Could it be a relative of someone who married in to your family, etc.

I do have a book which lists football league players (inc Scotland) and will look through the team for you to see if there are any clues there.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 June 10 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura

Here's what a Scotland cap looked like a year earlier.....

http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/media.php?file=postcard/image/0098/00983550.jpg

As you can see, it's blue, as would be expected.  Perhaps England awarded red caps.  They have played in red on many an (infamous) occasion.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney