Author Topic: Allan Campbell Whyte BLAIR, Draft Card Lawrence MA 1917  (Read 1570 times)

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Allan Campbell Whyte BLAIR, Draft Card Lawrence MA 1917
« on: Saturday 15 January 11 08:33 GMT (UK) »
I have a draft card (V8322) for Allan Campbell Whyte BLAIR dated 5 Jun 1917.  His address is given as 74 Greenfield, Lawrence, MA.  Allan and his parents (Allan and Jessie) are on the 1900 census in Lincoln, Providence, RI, having emigrated from UK in the 1890s.  Allan's parents must still be alive in 1917 as his reason for asking for exemption from the draft is that his parents are 'depending' on him.  I can't find the family on the 1920 census, or any other USA reference.  Allan snr was born 1859 in Glasgow, Scotland, Allan jnr in 1893 in London, England.

Many thanks for any help.
CRUST - Kent (Kingsnorth, Mersham)
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Allan Campbell Whyte BLAIR, Lawrence MA 1917
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 January 11 09:42 GMT (UK) »
I found the family on the 1910 US Census still living in Providence, RI.  Allen, Sr. is transcribed as Allen C. T. Blair and Allen, Jr. is transcribed as Allen C. M. Blair.

Do you have access to Ancestry to locate this Census or would you like me to type out the information for you?

Do you have a date of birth for Allen Jr.?  On the 1900, I see the month is April and year is 1893.

Susan

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 January 11 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I found the family on the 1910 US Census still living in Providence, RI.  Allen, Sr. is transcribed as Allen C. T. Blair and Allen, Jr. is transcribed as Allen C. M. Blair.

Do you have access to Ancestry to locate this Census or would you like me to type out the information for you?

Susan

Thanks.  I do have access to Ancestry and have looked up the record.  I guess I need to be looking for Allen and Allan!
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 January 11 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I just modified my previous post to ask if you knew the date of birth.

On the beta familysearch site, there is an entry for an 1905 Rhode Island Census which looks as though it might be Allan; however, the mother and father's birthplace is listed as Virginia!!  I didn't do a thorough search and check for Allan Sr. and Jessie.

There is a 1974 BC death for an Allan Blair, born London, England, with a birthdate of April 14, 1893.  He has a wife named Ada.  Unfortunately, there are no parents' names listed. 

Susan

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 January 11 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I just modified my previous post to ask if you knew the date of birth.

On the beta familysearch site, there is an entry for an 1905 Rhode Island Census which looks as though it might be Allan; however, the mother and father's birthplace is listed as Virginia!!  I didn't do a thorough search and check for Allan Sr. and Jessie.

There is a 1974 BC death for an Allan Blair, born London, England, with a birthdate of April 14, 1893.  He has a wife named Ada.  Unfortunately, there are no parents' names listed. 

Susan

Thanks Susan.  Allan jnr was born 4 Apr 1893 (accoding to his draft card) so probably him, he was born London, England.  The 1920 census seems to show Allan snr (widowed) and jnr in Lawrence MA, but both claiming to have been born in MA!
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 January 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I just saw that....but the address is on Greenfield St. which matches the draft card so seems likely that it is father and son.

I can check the BC death registration when I go to the FHS library next week to see if there are any clues that might confirm that this is your Allan.  Unfortunately, sometimes the informant on the death reg is someone totally unrelated to the deceased so some information (ie parents' names) is unknown.

If you could find a marriage between your Allan and an Ada that would offer some hope.

Susan

Edited to add:  I'm off to bed as it's very late (actually very early) where I live.  I'll check back in the morning to see if more information has been found.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Allan Campbell Whyte BLAIR, Draft Card Lawrence MA 1917
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
1919 Lawrence Mass. city directory
Blair, Allan C S, home 74 Greenfield
Blair, Allan C W, Pacific Print Works, boards 74 Greenfield
Blair, Jessie (Mrs. Allan CS) died Sept. 14 1918

Neither of the Allans is in the 1920 Lawrence directory.

Offline JonathanC

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Allan Campbell Whyte BLAIR, Draft Card Lawrence MA 1917
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 January 11 06:47 GMT (UK) »
1919 Lawrence Mass. city directory
Blair, Allan C S, home 74 Greenfield
Blair, Allan C W, Pacific Print Works, boards 74 Greenfield
Blair, Jessie (Mrs. Allan CS) died Sept. 14 1918

Neither of the Allans is in the 1920 Lawrence directory.

Many thanks Shelley
BEATON - Isle of Mull
GODDEN - Ruckinge, Kent