Author Topic: James Hindley born abt 1820, Liverpool  (Read 1795 times)

Offline mjames

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Hindley born abt 1820, Liverpool
« on: Monday 01 November 10 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone got a missing JAMES HINDLEY (abt 1820 - 1882) in their Lancashire tree, please?

He is in the Hull area by 1865/6 when his daughter Julia Ann was born (can't find a birth reg for her). I cannot find a marriage to a Caroline Wood nee Cousins (1830 - 1900), born Hull, who was the mother. A son, James William was born in 1869 and the family are on the 1871 and 1881 census in the Hull area. James was a painter's labourer born in Liverpool. I cannot find any mention of James before this, having used a variety of spellings, and wonder if he was already married to someone else and the couple just lived together. Thanks!

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Hindley born abt 1820, Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 14:46 GMT (UK) »
He sure is one difficult bloke to find he just seems to appear from out of the blue doesn't he?

It's looking like he changed his name for some reason doesn't it so you may be right and he was already married because he's well into his 40's when the children are born? It seems strange that his son James William's birth is registered yet not Julia Ann. I wonder if they were non-conformists and that's why you can't find them?

It might be worth you having a look at any non-conformist churches in the area where they lived to see if any of the BMD records have survived.

Margaret

Offline AlanOnTheWirral

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Try "famillysearch.org" where there is a JH christened 11 Sep 1820 in Manchester......but a couple of other options also.
Molyneux, Liverpool.
Fell, Liverpool, Wales & Ireland.
McAra, Perthshire.

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 19:27 GMT (UK) »
There's also the marriage of a James Hindley and Betty Wood 3rd October 1819 at St James, Church, Liverpool which might be worth persuing. It also fits the time frame and names of the James Hindley Christening that Alan has found in Manchester.

Margaret

Offline mjames

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I looked at JH's in earlies censuses and at familysearch but there were no clues as to the right individual.  I vaguely remember another Julia Hindley turning up Lancashire when I was searching for my Julia Ann, so will go back and check on her age and marital status in case she could be a relative. It has also just occurred to me to try prison records.