Author Topic: Thomas Pugh circa 1685  (Read 5958 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Thomas Pugh circa 1685
« on: Thursday 21 October 10 00:35 BST (UK) »
I now have good records of my Ancestors in Llanfihangel Nant Bran, thanks to this Forum and Garfydd in particular!

I have Thomas Pugh 1714 - 1775 married to Elizabeth Thomas in Llanfihangel Nant Bran in 1740.
They had William, December 1742;  Evan, 9 April 1743 ; Ann, December 20 1751; Gwen, August 27 1754; Elizabeth, January 16 1746; and Samuel, May 28 1758. They probably had a Mary too, But I only have a Bishop's Transcript of her marriage to John Morgans at Llfnb on February 14 1777.

Garfydd found a marriage beween Thomas Pugh and Eleanor in 1712, and another between Thomas Pugh and Elizabeth at Aberyscir.

This makes it likely that my most distant Ancestor was Thomas Pugh, Christened about 1685, probably in Brecknockshire.   

Does anyone out there have any further information on him or his family!

I very much appreciate your help!  :) :) :)

llanfi
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Pugh circa 1685
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 10 00:37 BST (UK) »
The Library at Aberystwyth has found me Bishop's Transcripts of;

"Thomas, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Pugh was baptised in 1714."

other records they found were:

"Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Pugh, was buried 16 December(?) 1723"

"Thomas Pugh was buried 2 February 1728"

"Daniel Pugh and Elizabeth Williams were married in 1741"

(Daniel might have been Thomas Pugh's brother ??)  

They are really helpful at the library, but they tell me their church records (BTs) start in 1714, so "my" Thomas just squeaked in!

Now it remains to be seen what further resources there may be... I hope this additional information is helpful to someone out there. Now I can focus on Thomas Pugh born around 1685, probably in Llanfihangel Nant Bran, Brecknockshire

Cheers

Llanfi  :)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 10 04:02 BST (UK) »
I have been searching the Internet and I have found several publications regarding Brecknockshire which make very interesting reading!
One , in particular, on Google:
"Papers from Various Sources relating to the history of Brecknockshire, Volume 1, by John Lloyd" has a reference to Thomas Pugh and Elinor (his wife) who were brought to court (with about forty others from various parishes) in Brecon in 1687 for "Not coming to Church three Sundays in a Row"! They are listed as being absent from the Church at Llywell which is only a few miles from Llanfihangel Nant Bran, where my ancestor, another Thomas Pugh, lived from 1714 - 1775.
There seems to be a memorial Plaque in Llanfihangel Nant Bran church for Thomas Pugh and Eleanora...They could be "my" Thomas's parents, and (at a stretch) could be the couple referred to above..
Has anyone out there any further information about Thomas Pugh and Eleanora? :)

Many Thanks!
Llanfi

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 10 04:07 BST (UK) »
Of course, I am referring to this "Thomas Pugh and Elinor" who were brought to court in 1687 as being the parents of "mu" Thomas Pugh born around 1685!!! Please see the previous posting..

Cheers,

Llanfi 8)