Author Topic: John Tomney born 1848 Ireland  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Guidingspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Tomney born 1848 Ireland
« on: Friday 09 July 10 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

Can anyone help me to solve the riddle of what happened to John Tomney born 1848 in Ireland.
In the 1881 Scottish census when his birth date is stated as abt 1853, he was living at 8 Guildry Court, Glasgow Bridgegate, occupation Clothiers salesman but after this I can find no record of him.
I believe that he probably died somewhere between 1881 and 1885 when his father died as there is no mention of him in his fathers will even though he was an older son and everything was left to the youngest son William.
I have searched for him on Scotlands people and also on the Inverclyde BMD's but to no avail.
I would love to track down his death certificate to know what became of him so any help would be most welcome.
Jean

Offline edowds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Tomney born 1848 Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there!

Can anyone help me to solve the riddle of what happened to John Tomney born 1848 in Ireland.
In the 1881 Scottish census when his birth date is stated as abt 1853, he was living at 8 Guildry Court, Glasgow Bridgegate, occupation Clothiers salesman but after this I can find no record of him.
I believe that he probably died somewhere between 1881 and 1885 when his father died as there is no mention of him in his fathers will even though he was an older son and everything was left to the youngest son William.
I have searched for him on Scotlands people and also on the Inverclyde BMD's but to no avail.
I would love to track down his death certificate to know what became of him so any help would be most welcome.
Jean

Hi Jean

From the Greenock Telegraph BMD

TOMNAY Mary Welsh, wife of John Tomnay, died at 39 Dalrymple street, Greenock in May 1879.
(Greenock Telegraph 17.5.1879)

TOMNAY John Tomnay, baker & outfitter, father of William, died at 36 Shaw Street, Greenock in
April 1885. (Greenock Telegraph 25.4.1885)

BMD's here
http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/tourism-and-visitor-attractions/local-history-and-heritage/watt-library-births-marriages-deaths-index

1881 - 36 Shaw St, Middle Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
John TOMMEY, wid., 60, Ireland, Clothiers Broker
dau. Elizabeth POWER, married, 25, Ireland, Saleswomen
dau. Margaret TOMMEY, unmarried, 21, England, Assistant In Shop

So from the BMD they had a son William and on the census was 2 daughters Elizabeth & Margaret.

Happy Hunting
Eddie